Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received my second call for a bee that has invaded a Wood Pile. I see why my buddy in Indiana charges $25 just to show up, as the general public thinks everything is a Honey Bee...LOL. Thankfully most people don't want to harm the real McCoys. My question is what looks so closes to a Honey Bee in the North East? I had my friend email me a picture, and it even fooled me to go over the muscle shell to see him. I am attaching a picture for you experts or aspiring Bug Studiers..LOL. 10245585_827173607310790_7123502755531197470_n[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Its a solitary bee, mason bee. We have the same things in Louisville. They do look very similar to a honey bee by the inexperienced eye. The abdomen is a dead give away, its flatter and shorter. Our club recieved quite a few calls this spring for them. We had a nest in a stereo (definately not honey bees) and nest in 1" aluminium poles of lawn furniture. Folks swore up and down they were honey bees, I didn't go but they convinced a few other unexperienced beekeepers to come see hungry for a spring swarm. I have one in the bolt hole boss on my blower, also found a small nest on the inside wall of a swarm trap between the side bar.

I

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'll never understand the "$25 just to show up"

You have a skill that not many people have.
Call a plumber or an electrician and see what they charge "just to show up."
For that matter, call a wildlife control company and see what they charge - just to show up. :)

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

For that matter, call a wildlife control company and see what they charge - just to show up. :)
Im with you Jatham, i made sure our club doesn't not have a fee for swarms. Any experienced person can narrow down possibilities via question, I havn't been stumped once. Several members have gone to multiple calls of something other than honey bee. I ask questions like What is the volume they occupy, are they near or on the ground, what is the bees entering and leaving per minute and of course a picture is worse a thousand words.

Here is what our swarm page looks like. I generally have the caller go to the webpage while on the phone. Last year we didn't have this and we had many more false calls, mainly, yellow jackets, carpenter and mason bees. http://kyanabees.com/swarm-hive-removal/

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't suppose he sent any picture of the wood pile possibly showing quantities, activity, or structure?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

If you call a plumber or an electrician to come fix a problem, you are going to be charged at least $75 "just to show up." It's called a service call charge. I don't know of any that don't charge for a service call. That's not the same as calling for them to come look at a job that involves installing new plumbing or wiring. That's giving a free estimate. The reason those professions charge a service call charge, is because more times than not it's some sort of user error and involves no parts and very little labor. I don't charge to go pick up swarms, but I don't begrudge someone who does. Time is a commodity just like expertise is.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you call a plumber or an electrician to come fix a problem, you are going to be charged at least $75 "just to show up." It's called a service call charge. I don't know of any that don't charge for a service call. That's not the same as calling for them to come look at a job that involves installing new plumbing or wiring. That's giving a free estimate.
Correct.
I am of the opinion that a beekeeper's skills are a valuable commodity.
I own a business and we charge $125 for the service fee. I see no reason that the skilled bee guy shouldn't be treated as a tradesman and paid for the service - even if they really want the bees! I do not do trap outs or cutouts but when the day comes that I have those skills, I will gladly offer my services - for a fee, to solve the problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the lady suggested I come look and offered me $20. She did not use technology enough to get me a picture. Aside from the opportunity cost of over an hour from Ithaca to Watkins Glenn, in a Big Ford F-150, and 16 Mile per Gallon, I still barley broke even. So if you don't charge hey that's cool. But I refuse to travel that far to subsidize peoples ignorance. If you don't charge, I will gladly give you the phone next time....LOL. Cheers All.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts