Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
If you are prepared to pay the price for plastic Apimaye hives you could buy a Creality CR 10 3D printer and with a little thought print your own boxes, I am presently printing 4 frame nuc boxes as my original ones are wearing out. They are more expensive than building them out of wood but all the screw holes in the printed parts are already countersunk and completely made on the printer, all I do is assemble. Bottom boards and top covers still being made from Advantech but that could change if I have some time on my hands and start to get bored.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have switched to using a 1/8" sheet (3mm) of clear acrylic as an inner cover. I can get it from Lowes and it's not as expensive as an inner cover. I have really liked it and in the early spring while it is still cold I can take a quick peek without breaking the seal on the hive.

You can make an all wood inner cover using 1/2" slats with frame and panel construction. I used to help my grandfather when I was a teenager and we'd spend winter workshop time building and repairing equipment (good memories). We didn't use plywood back then. If you aren't using modern dimensionally stable lumber products like plywood or advantech, then inner covers and bottom boards need to be frame and panel construction. Build your covers and bottoms as a frame with a dado slot all the way around the inside. Use 1/2" wood slats with overlap rabbets for the inner cover. Use 3/4" slats on bottom boards, also with overlap rabbets. The overlap rabbets (like ship lap) keep gaps from opening up as the boards contract seasonally. Gap the rabbets the width of a dime (about 1.25 mm) to allow for seasonal expansion. Glue the frames but don't glue the panel slats, let them float in the frame dado so that the wood can expand and contract. If you glue it, it will crack - promise.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts