Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered some unassembled deeps and supers from brushy. I was told by a local not to use wood glue, just nails. He said bees don't like the glue. He's the only person I've heard that from. They are fingered and fit very snug so I'm not sure they will need any glue. Any advice?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
An awful lot of people use Tite Bond III.

Forget the story about bees not liking glue.

I use TB3 on all assemblies, plus I seal all exposed end grain with the glue.

I strongly recommend that you use glue.

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
IMHO, the only drawback to using glue is the time it takes to apply, and the cost of the glue. Both of those are minor issues.

For Engineer Aceviews on glue, see this current thread: :eek: :lookout:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?287847-Better-Mousetrap-Gorilla-Frames!

If you have access to an air compressor, an inexpensive 1/4" crown stapler in combination with Titebond II or III glue is very nice for assembling boxes. You can use that same stapler for frame assembly also, with shorter staples.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks for respomse and advice! I have TB2 for some reason here at home. Okay I assume? Does paint go over glue well on the exposed grain? Also overnight good enough dry time? Sorry for the 21 questions, just dropped a fair amount of money and don't want to screw up if possible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started reading that thread before it veered into glue. Thanks. Ill glue some and not glue some. I can run my own little experiment, see if any difference in 5-10-15 years. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not sure what I used, some kind of natural resin based glue, but bottom line is yes, use the glue, both on your boxes and on your frames. In the end the glue will probably do more of the work of holding everything together than the nails do.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I would glue we glue everything. Raider is right about the stapler you can get a small compressor and 1/4 inch crown stapler from Harbor freight for around $200.00 the stapler is not much, but it is only $16.00 of the cost. The I have bought a few over the years , They usually last for about 50 complete hives, They have no real depth adjustment but I have managed to control head depth with air pressure adjustment. A real time saver over nailing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
In wood working the thought is that the nails are only to hold the wood until the glue dries. I glue and nail and the only reason I throw a frame out is its old, not loose. I am also a dinosaur, but I have converted to an 18 gauge brad gun for frames. It really speeds thins up. I didn't care for the stapler for frames. I feel it breaks too much wood around the crown.

Bill S

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nails are good for shearing forces...not good in tension mode..nail perpendicular to force....gravity is vertical so nails should be horizontal...might take a genius this time... :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Am I the only one who uses screws instead of nails? I always pre-drill the outer hole to prevent splitting. The screws are treated for outdoor use and go in with an electric drill. It's a quick easy job and VERY solid.

On another note, a fox came to visit my hive this morning. I'll keep bricks on top from now on.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Nope your not the only one, screws, no glue ..... makes repairs eaasier, and boxes stronger in my opinion.... try a drywall screw gun... SUPER fast, I can assemble a box in less than a minute with 4 screws on each side...

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I've used nails, screws, brad nails, and no nails. The only advantage that a screw has over a nail is it pulls the boxes closer together so the glue has better contact. Wood glue has a better holding force than actual wood. Glue two random boards together (small ones) and try to break it at the glue joint and you'll see, it'll always break at the wood grain, if glued correctly.

I don't put nails in every finger. Only about half. Haven't noticed any difference in holding strength, saves time and a little bit of money.

In my opinion, if you are using screws but no glue, you aren't really getting the benefit out of screws.

And you can forget treated screws. Once the glue dries, the screw is useless. You can take the screw out 24 hours later, and the joint will hold just fine. So if my normal screws rust out after 10 years (which, after being covered in exterior paint they never will) it doesn't matter at all. Treated screws aren't worth the extra money in this type of operation. Now decking, or using screws on treated lumber without painting, that's different.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I glue and screw, 3 screws per joint and I use SS screws. I use SS in everything except decks. Left over from my boating days. If it wasn't SS, it wasn't going to be there next year. I leave them in and paint over them.
I also use all cypress wood. Of course I don't have hundreds of hives either...

Do you have pictures of the fox, I'm surprised that they will go after bees?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Using glue will interfere with repairing/ replacing a side or end, but I figure at that point I'll replace the WHOLE box.

Tight Bond III! A little dab will do YA!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I didn't mention that I use TB III along with the deck screws. The screws guarantee a full tight fit and usually very square joint. Since boxes aren't that expensive with a small number of hives, I don't ever plan to disassemble them. If they are old or bad I'll just trash them.

Nope, no pics of the morning fox visit but from now on I'll be camera-ready. I doubt the fox will do any damage to the hive so I won't be doing anything that might injure him.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
yes or may Not sure what I used, some kind of natural resin-based glues, but the bottom line is yes, use the glue In the end, the glue will probably do more work of holding everything together than the nails do.
i suggest the Gorilla glue and titebond adhesives best
I use SS screws so I don't glue, however, if you make you're own frames I'd glue the bottom, mine are getting old and I've had several pull apart on me in the hives, Bottom gets glued to the top of the frame below it and you pull them apart at the staples.

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
Older threads like this are a 'magnet' for spammers posting links to their allegedly "review" sites -- which in reality in this particular case was just an Amazon affiliate site getting a referral fee for selling glue. :rolleyes:

So once the spammer Reggie98's post has been removed (and the spammer banned), it looks like Robbin is reviving a 7 year old thread. Ironically, Robbin also posted in this thread when it was an active thread 7 years ago.

So to make it harder for additional "glue" spammers, and to eliminate new comments about "Why did you revive a 7 year old thread?", I have closed this thread. If you really want to post on this topic, start a new thread and include a link to this thread for context.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.