Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hidy beemen,

Anyone have any advice on heating a shop with wood? A store by me has a "Hotblast 1500" furnace on sale for $1K and it seems like it should do the job but I never heated with wood before, so any thoughts you have would help. My shop is a 24x40 with 10 ceilings, pole barn type with just bubble wrap insulation so I think a stove like this would be the right thing to have. it is a 85K btu unit.

Does anyone know if they are good units? Made by US Stove Company. Any other tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a wood burning furnace but I haven't used it for quite a while. I think its a Hot Blast made by US Stove. Since the power goes out here sometimes it is better for me to use a standard wood stove. I've used it to heat the trailer we used to live in and later on a greenhouse. The hot blast puts out a good bit of heat but takes a while to get going. Do you have free access to firewood? To me, it doesn't make sense to heat with wood unless its free or very cheap.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Pellets-

TWT, do some math first. Unless your available fuel sources are costly, such as LPG or high cost electricity, pellets are a very poor economic choice. That still doesn't mean people opt to not go with pellets, some take the stance "don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up". I literally do that math for homeowners so often and never see one pay out well. As mentioned, unless you have a cheap fuel source, the BTU cost is quite astronomical comparing pellets to many other fuel sources.

I have many customers whom I've done energy audits for and chose pellets. In the end, after reviewing receipts, they are all spending far more than before for heating. I sat one homeowner down with some off the top of my head math and advised him to do other things (thermal shell improvements, etc.) instead of changing energy sources. He did the opposite and two winters later called me to admit it was a terrible mistake financially. We figure at the current rate, he is spending almost $200 a year more than he was before, not counting the cost of the stove and accessories to install it. He has been behind financially ever since, not to count the negative impact on the environment pellets pose vs. cleaner energy sources.

Without seeing your property and knowing your energy options, I can't offer legitimate advice, but please look at all aspects before making the decision. One more thing to consider for example - insurance - insurance companies really hate wood stoves and pellet stoves. Make sure you don't forfeit or place your coverage at risk by installing one. There's nothing like hearing "sorry, your loss is not covered due to the solid fuel appliance coming under an exclusion..."

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i heat my house with a quadrafire 4300 and am very happy with it. i also have a selection of other older stoves which i use in the basement and out buildings, and i am happy with most of them. for a shop i would look for a used shrader, or fisher, or even blazeking in the $350 range. they are not furnace types but they last and hold heat and you can always put a box fan behind them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Been using a Fireplace Insert from Bailey Stove, now out of business, for the past twenty-two years. Best thing I've done in a long time. Put three pieces of split Oak in each morn and three each evening on those few cold days we have here and it will heat the entire 2750sqft of house.
Looks like its good for another twenty years of use. We just use all the limbs and storm downed trees here off the farm for fuel. Got to cut and burn'em anyway so why not heat with it.:)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Anyone have any advice on heating a shop with wood? Thanks
Why don't you put the money that you wish to spend on a wood stove into solar heat. There are many things in a honey house which are very flamable, beeswax, wooden ware and propolis. So, whatever you do, be sure to buy an extinguisher or two too.

It doesn't take a wood stove to burn down a honey house, but I'd be leary of the idea. I had a honey house fire, which was caused by a heat lamp. The fire marshall determioned that the cause was electrical. So be aware.

·
Registered
30 Posts
in my shop 30x30 i built a air thight stove out of 1x4 in steel. it is 4foot long & 20 in high . i go to the tire repair shop & get a 16 foot trailor load of tires at a time for free. i cut them up with a cutoff saw. it keeps me warm.dont put too many in at a time or you will have to open a window or door to cool off.OH & use a damper on your pipe.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hidy beemen,

Anyone have any advice on heating a shop with wood? A store by me has a "Hotblast 1500" furnace on sale for $1K and it seems like it should do the job but I never heated with wood before, so any thoughts you have would help. My shop is a 24x40 with 10 ceilings, pole barn type with just bubble wrap insulation so I think a stove like this would be the right thing to have. it is a 85K btu unit.

Does anyone know if they are good units? Made by US Stove Company. Any other tips?

Thanks
I've used the Hotblast for the last three winters. I installed it in my basement to reduce my fuel oil usage. I've gone from using 700-800 gallons of oil during the winter down to a little under 200 gallons of oil during the winter. With the cost of fuel oil in our area I've more than paid for the furnace in less than two winters.

I load up the firebox in the morning before my wife and I go to work and there are still some nice hot embers left in it when I get home in the evening.

The furnace is well constructed and the firebox is big enough to load up and then forget about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts