Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis year I have an awful wood bee problem at my house. I can't see all the bee holes to plug them, and the ones I can see are up too high for me to get to. I do not have a ladder high enough. I want to call the pest control people, but I know they will use poison. My first pkg honey bees are set to arrive on May 8th. I do not know what else to do about these wood bees. I saw about 10-15 all around the back of my house in addition to the ones that usually hang out in front

·
Registered
519 Posts
Spray all the wood, with malithion. And, give an extra squirt in the holes. I also keep a couple of badminton raquets handy. they do a heck of a number on carpenter bees.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
825 Posts
I also use the badminton rackets, lots of fun.

Killed the first one today as a matter of fact.

G3

·
Registered
251 Posts
yes tennis rackets are alot of fun. Them buggers are fast. I have never sprayed for them. They just go away in a couple of months. After they leave,bondo,sand and paint. They will have to find a new hole next year. Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the badminton idea is starting to appeal to me! Might get one at Walmart today--thus no use for pesticides! LOL!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
cut a little square of screen and push it in the hole with a pencil. Keeps the ones in, in and the ones out, out. Paint the wood surface, which helps deter them. They will chew through caulking quickly.

I was reading PLB's post the other day and he indicated the wood bee was endangered (I think that's what I read). I would suggest leaving them alone and painting the wood to keep them controlled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts