Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, first post on this forum, and I'm a brand new beek, but not completely ignorant to beekeeping. I spent over a year combing over anything I could get my hands on concerning beekeeping and spent many many hours watching videos on youtube. I took the first step earlier this year in constructing a top bar hive (that is not quite finished yet) and getting a smoker, smoker fuel (cedar chips), jacket and veil. The next big step came last friday in purchasing a swarm that was moved into a lang hive with some already drawn comb. My first inspection came the next morning :D (was night by the time I got home) but I had a concern. No signs of brood. I couldnt find the queen (not surprising, bees were everywhere) and couldnt see any signs of brood but there was capped honey. This was worrying. So I checked again later that day and STILL couldnt see signs of brood or eggs after trying to get some light on the combs. Ok, all signs point to a virgin queen.

Unwilling to wait a week to make sure I didnt have eggs, I grabbed my LED flashlight and went back out after getting home from work just now. One empty frame is being drawn out quite rapidly, and even has some nector or honey in it, pull out the first frame near the entrance, still cant see eggs, its all pollen and nector. The second frame however and I noticed not one, not two, not three, but four queen cups on the bottom, I'm assuming came from another hive, as the comb was already drawn out. I did however check for eggs, caught a glimpse of milky white, and sure enough, I have larva :D Not very old larva, but still. I know I have a laying queen, and shall leave her alone for a week and check on their progress. They keep this up though and they will get their big TBH soon :) .

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Welcome! I'm a bit surprised that you were able to do any sort of inspection at night without getting the girls all riled up. My package seemed to take a bit to get the eggs going as well, but I now have larvae. Just a thought, how come you are waiting before putting them in the TBH? Won't you have to cut out part of the frames to make them fit?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh I didnt even bother at night, it was 9:30 and I had a hard time seeing where I was going, let alone messing with them. I did get a sting for my efforts the next day when I started pulling frames. As for waiting, the hive isnt quite finished yet, as I need to get some 1x2s and cut them to length, along with some molding as a comb guide, and finish painting it a nice green. I'm not overly worried about cutting the frames too much as this is a BIG TBH, measures 20" at the top and is about 13" deep, with the bottom being a 1"x6" board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts