Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got six hives of single deeps + full honey supers. Thirteen full supers, to be exact. I can pull the supers and extract this week and either:

A. leave the single deep and put a single honey super back on for an additional crop OR
B. Call it a season and put another deep on and let the girls build up stores for winter.

It's the middle of June and I've never had this much honey this early. Never had this problem before. I'm outside of Chicago. The main flow is over (I believe).

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
If you plan on wintering in two deeps, you need to put the second on and let the bees fill them. If they fill them, I would put the extracted supers back on as the bees may surprise you. Lots of summer left.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Most people at your latitude run 2 deeps year round. reversing them at spring build up. When the top deep 80% full of brood and stores the honey supers are put on. Weather you extract Spring and fall or wait and take it all at once is an individual preference based on honey types desired and other circumstances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts