Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bees are doing great, first year, and I don't have enough frames and foundation on hand, but I will get some this week.I didn't expect to use
so many supers. But I have access to some old drawn out frames that
has been sitting for over ten years. The wax is very brittle, and might fall apart. My biggest concern is AFB, most of my other equipment is either new
or from one source. Any ideas please? Thank you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Using the old comb would not be my first choice but I may try in a pinch. I would not however use Terramyacin or any other antibiotic to "cover up " AFB symptoms.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I've put frames of old dry combs in hives. (20+ year old crumbly combs) Bees seem to accept them better if you mix them in between frames of brood, or put them right over top brood.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
consider using the old frames without the comb - going "foundationless"
good luck,mike

·
Registered
475 Posts
My bees are doing great, first year, and I don't have enough frames and foundation on hand, but I will get some this week.I didn't expect to use
so many supers. But I have access to some old drawn out frames that
has been sitting for over ten years. The wax is very brittle, and might fall apart. My biggest concern is AFB, most of my other equipment is either new
or from one source. Any ideas please? Thank you.
Benson's are only just over an hour away. I've always found their foundation and frames well priced. Far preferable to using chancey equipment.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Any ideas please? Thank you.
Know your source. The best way to get AFB is to buy it. So, you need to know and trust your source of "new", new to you, yetold, equipment. If the beekeeper is trust worthy and says that the equipment has never been infected or exposed to AFB, then go ahead and use it.

What does your Provincial Apiarist recommend? They arequite thorough about keeping track of beekeepers and diseases. That's the impressionI get from the Apiarist and Inspectors that I know from Ontario.

You could always buy the equipmenrt and trash the frames. get new frames and let your bees make the comb. thatwould lessen any possible exposure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts