Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly new at this, so I continue to stumble and learn. The bad news is my established hive (Carniolans) swarmed yesterday morning. The good news is I was home and therefore able to catch it, and they now have a new home in the apiary. It was a decent size, too....it completely filled all the frames in a medium brood box. I suspect I'll be adding another box in a week or so.

My question involves the possibility of an afterswarm. Is this common? Can anyone suggest what I can do to minimize the chance of them swarming a second time? The old hive should have plenty of room now, and they certainly seem healthy. But I thought they had plenty of room before yesterday, so what do I know?!! :doh:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks muchly.
Cindy

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you go in the original hive and remove all the queen cells but one will usually stop afterswarms. Select the largest cell that has the roughest surface and is made with white wax. If possible I usually pick one on the face of the comb rather than along the bottom edge.

Select the cell to keep before you start removing them and don't jar the frame if possible. All the other frames you will need to shake most of the bees off so that you can see all of the queen cells.

Some people leave two cells as insurance but when I have left two the bees cast another swarm with the extra queen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts