Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering about 2 things and varroa.

If you use a pollen trap, does it also dislodge any appreciable number of varroa? If so, could it be used as a control method? I realize that a large portion of the mites stay in the brood area. So if the pollen trap dislodges significant varroa, could you shake the bees off brood frames just outside the hive and have them all re-enter the hive through the pollen trap?

The second is the use of a venom harvesting device. This device placed at the hive entrance produces a small shock to the bees, causing them to sting it. Could this small shock cause the varroa to drop off also?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Geez, both sound pretty intrusive and damaging to me.

Shock therapy for the varroa. I like it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The second is the use of a venom harvesting device. This device placed at the hive entrance produces a small shock to the bees, causing them to sting it. Could this small shock cause the varroa to drop off also?
So every bee that enters the hive is going to die because they stung some gizmo? You won't have any bees left after a few days!
A quicker way to kill all the mites and all the bees would be to just burn the whole hive with everyone in it. Voila!- no more mites! ;)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,986 Posts
I believe the idea for the SBB came from pollen traps, so I'm guessing it will dislodge some, but most are still in the hive. Most of those would be likely to get dislodged when the forager is rolling in pollen as well...

The shock idea is intriguing. You could make money on the venom as well. :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for shocking the bees to death or killing them by making them sting, that does not happen. The shock is to small to kill the bee. it stimulates them to sting a glass or metal plate. this will allow for venom to be ejected, but as there is nothing for the barb of their stinger to embed in, they do not lose their stinger and do not die. it is not the act of stinging that kills bees but their stinger being ripped out because of embedment that kills the bee. There are commercial venom collectors on the market (expensive for varroa treatment no doubt).

I also wonder if a very high frequency "noise" would either kill or disorient the varroa and not the bees.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Thanks for clarifying about the stinging. :p

As to varroa riding around all day on the backs of foraging bees as they make their rounds far and wide, is that very common? When people take photos of bees on flowers, are there often varroa visible on the bee?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I wonder if i could do that to my kids......hey i said be quiet.....(zaaaaapppppppp) see if your not quiet what happens!!! LOLOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK.... a question with a hopefully serious answer now....
In RE to mite control WITHOUTuse of medication, do you use a SBB with perhaps an oil pan or sliding board dowsed with veg. oil below it and simply dust the brood chamber and bees with powdered sugar? If a person wants to do this as a preventative or control method, how often is it done... starting in the spring time until winter? Any other non-medicated methods?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, a couple comments. First I read something about the venom collector that shocks the bees. Seems that after getting shocked every time they entered the hive, they became almost unworkable after a few days. No idea how long it takes them to settle down afterward.

Second, after getting a shock collar for the dog & seeing how well it worked I was musing it might work to get another for my son. Well for Christmas I got a remote control that is supposed to control kids, with lots of neat buttons like "grow up" & "be quiet". I had a worried 6 year old till he figured out that the remote control was powered by wishful thinking & didn't have any batteries, so now we're back to "time out".

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,986 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts