Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While putting new frames in my OBSERVATIONS HIVE I found queen cells ready to hatch. What I did not expect was for them to hatch while I was working. One queen emerged and fly into the hive. I cut out smoother and after I buttoned up the OB I saw that cu out queen cell was opening. I had a hive in need of a queen so I walked her over to that hive. I wanted to share this on video, by of course my phone was low on battery so I guess this will have to do.
The queen emerged with a little help from my gloved hand, she grabbed it with her front legs and pulled herself out. She quickly ran inside. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
This forum needs a like button! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Isn't it amazing?! I watched a queen emerge from one of my splits recently, and also heard piping in another of the splits.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Excellent post! Yesterday I was about to add a frame of bees to boost the population of another nearby hive.
I grabbed the first frame full of bees thinking that this was a queen less hive when in fact there is a
mated queen on this frame. How she got there is still a mystery to me. As I was about to put them into another hive she started piping continuously. I often read about queen piping. But this was the first time I heard her as if she was saying, 'I am here, we are here, so don't put us into a foreign hive' thinking we are queen less. Then I glanced over the frame toward the direction of her
sound and spotted her. Needless to say, mission got cancelled. Sometimes your bees will tell you only if you would just listen for awhile and not do what you wanted to do.
All hives are now queen right. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
This reminds me of my favorite Bible scripture: "Be still, know I am the Lord." Be still, be quite. I often do this on the front porch resting, reading my Bible, etc. Yesterday, soaking wet, cleaning and pruning around my bee yard, I went to rest and cool on the front porch. Saw a big **** coming into the yard, looked around, went on about his business.

casper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts