Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have two hives that I supered with boxes and comb from last year and they filled them up., Almost all capped. Wanted to put another super on both and I had these supers that were from Mann Lake that were boxed nicely painted and all frames and foundation. I bought them years ago. Frames are dated 2017! and 2018. Fresh out of box and unwrapped . Smelled brand new and the were taken out of box and put on hives with full super underneath. Problem is bees are NOT laying down any comb at all. Been 7-10 days and I have about a two acre field of sunflowers. I sprayed foundation with 1:1 sugar water. I don’t use sugar water when supers on but I just sprayed foundation. Does not seem to be working. Anything else Please. Great nectar flow but they just won’t hardly touch framed and is all I have. Look and smell brand new but frames made in 17 -18 and are sparkling brand new looking. About my third year and have not had this problem before and I want to catch this last big flow

·
Registered
247 Posts
Try moving some frames up from the "good" supers- that will draw them up and maybe they will start working the foundation around them.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Have two hives that I supered with boxes and comb from last year and they filled them up., Almost all capped. Wanted to put another super on both and I had these supers that were from Mann Lake that were boxed nicely painted and all frames and foundation. I bought them years ago. Frames are dated 2017! and 2018. Fresh out of box and unwrapped . Smelled brand new and the were taken out of box and put on hives with full super underneath. Problem is bees are NOT laying down any comb at all. Been 7-10 days and I have about a two acre field of sunflowers. I sprayed foundation with 1:1 sugar water. I don’t use sugar water when supers on but I just sprayed foundation. Does not seem to be working. Anything else Please. Great nectar flow but they just won’t hardly touch framed and is all I have. Look and smell brand new but frames made in 17 -18 and are sparkling brand new looking. About my third year and have not had this problem before and I want to catch this last big flow
What Dekster said, and I brush melted beeswax on new foundation and frames; the “dirtier” the better, meaning when you clean frames off with burr comb and propolis; melt it all together

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I never really seen my bees work sunflower too hard when I grew them in my garden. Lots of bumble bees did though. If it is the same foundation they originally drew out, I would say they don't need the space or they would probably draw it. I am not as far north as you but think it takes lots of feed at this time of the year for my bees to do much wax making. Here the hives are not bringing in pollen and so not really doing any brood expansions and so unless they run out of space, they don't draw and many time even if they do, they just fatten what is there or make little bur comb or little wacky comb. I am foundationless and have zero experience with foundation and so only go by wax making in my area while typing this. The later it gets the harder it gets to get wax.
I am not an expert bee keeper and so only think I know what my observations at my location are.
Good luck
gww

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I agree you should bring a frame or two up from the next box to draw them up. Sometimes new foundation seems to make them draw a line, so to speak, at the top of their drawn frames and call that their space. A worked frame or two coaxes them up.

Also, if there isn't enough flow they won't draw it if there's room to store what they are taking in. They generally only draw what they need at the time.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
As Danial says, I do always move up a frame or two for bait when putting on new boxes.
Cheers
gww

1 - 6 of 6 Posts