Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around for another package yesterday and found kelly bees and mann lake still have bees for sale. But the price was pretty stiff 198 and above. I did find some buckfast but i believe i was looking at 250 per package. Then found Wolf Creek Bees 3 lb for 154 we with shipping still up there but more reasonable. So i bought one. Has anyone tried thier bees, are they good to go as is? Just a review or some comments will be good. They sound like a solid bee but never tried them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've used Wolf Creek bees for over 10 years and have never had any problems with them. They over winter good and are gentle to work with. They are natural cell bees if that makes a difference to you. I've tried Italians, Buckfast and some Russians but have had the best luck with the Wolf Creek bees. I’m sure others will disagree and say that they have had good luck with the other genetics and that’s okay. All I can say is don’t be afraid to try them. The people there are good to deal with. Sometime hard to get in touch with but if you will leave a number you will get a call back, or at least I always do.
Ken

·
Registered
99 Posts
They are good, reliable bees. I've bought packages from Wolf Creek several times, although I'm close enough for pickup rather than shipping. They survived well, and produced small cells, although I've gotten small cells from just about any source with foundationless frames.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was looking around for another package yesterday and found kelly bees and mann lake still have bees for sale. But the price was pretty stiff 198 and above. I did find some buckfast but i believe i was looking at 250 per package. Then found Wolf Creek Bees 3 lb for 154 we with shipping still up there but more reasonable. So i bought one. Has anyone tried thier bees, are they good to go as is? Just a review or some comments will be good. They sound like a solid bee but never tried them.
We bought from Wolf Creek for years - excellant. But they have now changed hands. We purchesed 3 - 3lb kits this year. 2 were very healthy, 1 the queen barely looked alive in her cage. After 5 days she never left the cage (we were also feeding the hive) so we tapped her out. After 8 days there was no laying and she was extremely lethargic. Thats when I began the series of emails (I think 4 in total) and a phone call. I was assured Josh would get back to me. He finally did, left a lengthy message about how bees can die over the winter, there's no way to know why, there is an insurance claim I could make, you can only ship on certain dates, yada yada yada. Not once ever addressing my issue. I tried calling back, left a message. Send another email asking for clarification. I still have not received any information. DO NOT BUY FROM WOLF CREEK BEES!!! That one hive was $150 gone.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree about not buying from Wolf Creek. Last year i did buy 1 package. Just like you the queen was no good. I did complain. No response at all. I ended up buying a saskatraz queen and she got things rolling. I did add 2 frames with brood. But i would never reccomend them to anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree about not buying from Wolf Creek. Last year i did buy 1 package. Just like you the queen was no good. I did complain. No response at all. I ended up buying a saskatraz queen and she got things rolling. I did add 2 frames with brood. But i would never reccomend them to anyone.
So sad because the previous owner was such a nice guy. We had worked with him on many projects including lots of educational classes we helped teach. This new guy, Josh, need to understand this is not how you treat customers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought a couple of packages from them 5 years ago. They were good bees and did very well for me. I hadn't realized they sold out. A business is only as good as the owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes John sold it. He was wonderful to work with. I just didn't expect this new owner to be so cold hearted. Sad. John had a great clientele and work ethic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts