Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a wire crimper for wiring frames. It looks like most of the major supply houses sell this one or one similar. This one has helical (angled) gears and the teeth on the gears do not mesh. I tried crimping one frame with it and this thing seems absolutely useless. I've seen pictures of crimping tools with straight teeth that mesh together and I expected these helical teeth to mesh too. The teeth meet in an 'x' instead of // though. I though at first that the manufacturer might have mistakingly put one wrong gear on but, when I looked back at pictures on the web site, they match what I received. Am I missing something or is this design completely unusable? I find it hard to believe that the manufacturer or any supply houses selling these have ever tried to crimp with it or they'd see the issue. Along the same line, does anyone know where I can buy a crimper with straight gears?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Are we talking the plastic red handled crimper? Mine worked much better when it got gooped up with propolis and wax from crimping frames that had been through the solar melter. Before it slide down the wire. When it was gooped up it gripped and crimped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. That's the one. Mine just wanted to slide down the wires too. I had to pull the tool with one hand while rotating the gears with my other to get any crimp at all. Even with this, the crimp was hardly noticeable. Way too much trouble for the result. I'll have to try getting it sticky with some propolis and see if it helps.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I hold the frame somehow between my legs and squeeze the crimper with two hands, right hand on the handlea and left hands at the wheels. Works well once it stops sliding.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
>Michael Bush seems to have a pretty good work around for that, He had the gears welded to a set of lineman's pliers, this can be seen here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm

Yes. I found the plastic handled ones unworkable but the lineman's pliers version works really well...

It wasn't too complicated. The welder guy cut the face of the pliers at an angle, welded on the bolts and a stop for the wire and put the gears on the bolts. Now it works REALLY well.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I hold the frame somehow between my legs and squeeze the crimper with two hands, right hand on the handlea and left hands at the wheels. Works well once it stops sliding.
Are you sure your talking about wiring frames?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Are you sure your talking about wiring frames?
Just because you live in San Francisco, the Sodom and Gomorrah of the west coast, does not mean that the rest of us, like you, envision every word and sentence as a perverted sexual act.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Someone has anger issues........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>Michael Bush seems to have a pretty good work around for that, He had the gears welded to a set of lineman's pliers, this can be seen here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm

Yes. I found the plastic handled ones unworkable but the lineman's pliers version works really well...

It wasn't too complicated. The welder guy cut the face of the pliers at an angle, welded on the bolts and a stop for the wire and put the gears on the bolts. Now it works REALLY well.

Michael, Did you get the gears off of a plastic set and use them for this or were able to purchase the gears somewhere alone? I like that design but I don't think it's going to work as well as yours if I use the helical gears from mine that don't mesh together.

Matt

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I have a pair of the plastic handled ones here at the computer. To mesh properly the helical gears must be a matching pair. Someone assembled yours using either a pair of identical LH skew or RH skew gears, instead of one of each. Oops!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I tighten the wire by stretching it sideways on the end frames, and catching the offset with a staple. I use a thumbnail to pull the wire sideways, but those worried about their manicure could likely use a screwdriver or such.
Advantage is if one section of the wire pops, the staple holds the other segments tight until the extraction is done and the wire can be repaired.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine worked fine at first but the gears have developed a few groves in them from clamping down on then wire. If you happen to clamp down on the right in that groove it will slide instead of crimping.

The real issue I have is it really does a number on my hands after doing a few, painful in fact.

I grab the frame in my right hand holding it on one end by the top bar and brace the other end against my chest or belly then clamp the wire at the far end with the crimpers in my left (I'm a southpaw) and pull back toward my chest. I hold the frame horizontally parallel to the floor with the bottom bar on my left. Then move on to the next wire and so on.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Are you folks wearing out your hands with the crimper using it on all wires for all your tightening needs? I install my wires so they are tight after installation and only use the crimper on wires I don't get tight or when renovating old frames that have been melted down. I only crimp maybe one out of ten wires I deal with. I have weak hands from MS and have never felt my use of the crimper was tiring.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To mesh properly the helical gears must be a matching pair. Someone assembled yours using either a pair of identical LH skew or RH skew gears, instead of one of each. Oops!
I just received my new wire crimpers from Dadant. They have identical LH skew gears that don't mesh. Completely unusable design.
Looks like the crimpers from Brushy Mountain has straight teeth.

Wish I had seen this thread before I bought them.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I just received my new wire crimpers from Dadant. They have identical LH skew gears that don't mesh. Completely unusable design.
Looks like the crimpers from Brushy Mountain has straight teeth.

Wish I had seen this thread before I bought them.
If the gears are helical they must no be identical or they will not mesh. Probably from the same factory as the original posters pair. Maybe he got the two RH skew gears that would give the same symptoms in use! Some poorly paid worker missed the training session!

I took the gears off mine before using and dabbed the shafts and insides with moly slip; kills the friction that makes them a bit sticky. I found they grip better, dont tend to skid, and make a better crimp on the wire if you don't make the wire singing tight before attempting to crimp it. You cant crimp a wire without either stretching it or pulling the end bars together; you really dont want or need to do either!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts