Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do for getting the bees set for winter?

Up here in Mass, they need about 60 lbs for themselves right? does that mean i got to leave a super for them, or will they fill up the 2 deeps before winter?

little unsure of how it works.

Pablo

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
There is a bit of a judgment call to make - will the bees make enough honey for them to winter on AND make you a surplus to harvest? For first year bees I tend to let them keep whatever they make and I'll do some supplemental feeding too. For bees that have made it through the winter I expect them to make a surplus. However if they are light (using September 15 here as the end of the fall flow in a typical year) I'll feed them as well. You'll often hear it said that it is easier to feed bees in the fall than in February.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
After re-reading your question - no, you shouldn't need to leave them a super. But do check the weight/stores in their hives bodies.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I winter with 2 deeps and a medium. I'm trying to promote large clusters of young bees going into winter. If the queen is competing for space with the storage of winter feed, then that cluster won't be as large. Of course the whole process starts at this time of the year with proper supering...which helps prevent the broodnest from becoming honey bound.

Also, that extra honey left on the colony will be turned into bees the following spring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Michael,
I am new to this...can you explain more about proper supering? Right now, I have 2 deeps and 2 supers and I am wondering if I should be adding another super. Thanks for any help!
Melissa

·
Registered
302 Posts
Add another super when your top super is built out with wax and about 8 frames full. About 80% full for rule of thumb, dont let them get too crowded. Good Luck and have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts