Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, a dumb question. How do you know when to feed? I mean, I have been feeding in periods were there is no nectar flow (duh!), but how can I read from the frames if my bees are low on reserves? When and how much to feed? I haven't found a metric such as # of frames with bees vs # frames with honey/syrup. As I have hives of different sizes (some very strong, some not so) I cannot base on total weight of hive. Its the same case for pollen / pollen patties. This is kind of important to me because I'm in northern Mexico and we have not only 1 period were bees do not find literally ANY food at all, but two. The first is June-August and the second is October-February. I'm trying to find some sort of method to leave bees alone during those periods of time, such as beekeepers from cold climates do when wintering.
Your thoughts on this?
Cheers!
F.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
I see you are in the land of the eternal sun. I would use this as a guideline. I would feed whenever there was less than two frames of honey/feed equivalent. That requires watching at times the bees are building up in the spring or when triggered to build up by some other flow. That is my guess that that would work in the South too.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am in Texas and we have similar Darth periods. We pull honey in June/July and leave a super or half for the summer Darth. They generally fill up a super or two in fall with goldenrod. If fall flow was light then I feed before going in Texas winter! All we need is a super worth of feed before winter and they come out strong in spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts