Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused , winter patties I thought were ok to use at the end of winter or early spring and differ from pollen patties in that winter patties aren't going to promote brood rearing and make the bee's eat them selves out of stores .While looking at some of the ingredients of dadants winter patties I see there is megabee in the patties which can promote brood rearing . Whats the scoop .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I fed dandant winter patties all through winter for a second year and am very impressed by them.
I don't know the fructose/sucrose science behind it all.
But do cut them in smaller pieces when you feed them in the winter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Forgive me if I wrong, but I was under the understanding that it is the proportion/amount of pollen in the winter patties compared to a regular pollen patty.

I would suppose they get some pollen naturally mixed in their honey stores they eat anyway throughout the winter, in the spring, they start pulling in more pollen to increase brood production, which would be why we add a pollen patty early to jump start brood production.

Like I said, that was my understanding.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense never thought of it that way . Does anyone know the different percentages of megabee in winter patties compared to pollen patties .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts