Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to re-arrange my 3 hives in my home back yard this winter. The object is to put them together in one place, leaving the locations they now occupy available for other uses. They are now in random separated locations.

I need to move one of them about 10 feet. The second, I need to move about 15 feet. And the third about 85 feet.

They will be beside each other in the new location.

Bees fly almost every day of our winters.

I understand about the branch in the front for ease of the bees homing in on their new location, but I have several questions.

1. Can I move them all at once?

2. When is the best time to move them? Night?

3. What other challenges might I encounter in this type of move.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If they are that close to home, it would be easy to just move them three or four feet a day until you have them where you want them. I usually try to do this early before they are flying or after they have bedded down for the night so more of the workers can figure out the new location. I think late evening seems to work best because they have more flying hours to work it all out.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
#1 yes

#2 late evening. screen 'em closed on a cool to cold day. it is too easy to stumble in the night time.

#3 if the hives are large I would suggest some kind of dolly to make the move easier on the bee keeper. use either ratching straps or hive staple to keep the various levels of the hive together as the hive is being move (this typically suggest my largest problem in moving hives).

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm

I'd just move them. If you don't have help or a dolly, I'd just move them a box at a time in the daytime. If you DO have a dolly then closing them and moving them at night is a nice touch.

IMO it's way too much work to move them a few feet at a time.

But I'd move them when the weather is predicted to be a warm night in case the stragglers are clustered at the old location. Move them early so they have time to sort things out before dark.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Unless you have a nice smooth concrete sidewalk to roll the dolly over, it could be a very bumpy ride with high risk of dumping the whole thing, especially at night. Then where are you? If the bees are flying every day, one box at a time seems good. My 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts