Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bees are clustered and things are pretty quiet in the hives...

I have four. Close to the house.

How often do I check on them, and what exactly am I to do, and what am I looking for?

Thanks in advance...

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wineman, I certainly will rest from beekeeping then.

I bought used how to books yesterday for building cottages or A frame houses. I was thinking about something Clay said in a post about a building he built that requires no reporting for tax purposes.

What was the name of that building he mentioned? Clay?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I mentioned a quansat hut (spelling???) or greenhouse type building. As for winter inspecting I don't till about Feb. I hope for a warm day that is unusally warm. If one doesn't come along I just go to it. I lift the hives to see if they are light and check for deadouts too. If the bees are light I take action and provide feed via honey packet (envelope method).

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
One way to keep track of your hives during the winter without openning them is to listen to them.

Put your ear to the side of the hive and listen to the hum. Listening to the hives you can determine where the cluster is located: bottom or top box, front or back, and which side.

This information along with how the hive was situated when you put them to bed for the winter, can help determine what actions, if any that you will need to take.

Good luck this winter.

·
Registered
578 Posts
if you use removable bottom trays,that's a good way to check on hive statis during the winter,you should see some wax cappings indicating they are eating their winter stores.

·
Registered
578 Posts
as far as taxable structures,my shack is up on posts,hence i'm told it's not considered a "permanent structure" and my taxes are low,probably different state to state though.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I like to check a few closer to spring, cant help myself. A quick openening of the hive doesn't hert them, just interupts them a bit. Do it on a nice calm sunny day.

Ian

·
Registered
130 Posts
What is the latest you treat with the FGMO. I have my hives on plastic pallets with a few bales of old hay stacked up around them and entrance reducers in. All 9 colonies have home-made screened bottom boards. Do I need to slide boards under the screened bottomboards for draft control or will the bales of hay be sufficient? I've also place 1 gallon galss jars of 50/50 sugar syrup over the hole (not completely) of the inner cover,placed an empty full super aroud it and placed the telescope cover on top with a couple bricks.My last FGMO tratment was two weeks ago (when it was unseasonable warm) including emulsion cords. Are the bees all set for winter?
It's is currently in the 30's in Indiana and was wondering if futher FGMO applications should be made on those ocasional warm days during the winter?
Thank you

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information on buildings.

I'll look up those structures. Wonder where we can learn about this from state to state?

I guess calling local building inspectors?

Off the ground on stilts? Wood floor I suppose. Is there electricity or water to them?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What is the latest you treat with the FGMO.
Answer:
I only fog in the fall when many bees are flying as I DO NOT want to break up the cluster as they tend to drop to the bottom and not move back up. This may cause those that drop to die.

I have my hives on plastic pallets with a few bales of old hay stacked up around them and entrance reducers in. All 9 colonies have home-made screened bottom boards. Do I need to slide boards under the screened bottomboards for draft control or will the bales of hay be sufficient?

Answer:
I have used hay and other things to stop the breezes and the blowing snow from going into the hives but I have found that where I am I also need to put the slider most of the way in to keep blowing snow out of the hive.

I've also place 1 gallon galss jars of 50/50 sugar syrup over the hole (not completely) of the inner cover,placed an empty full super aroud it and placed the telescope cover on top with a couple bricks.
You might want to stuff crumpled newspaper around the feeder to insulate it from the cold.
Around here you can't put any liquid feeders on the hive for winter because they freez solid.
11/08/03 time 3:15 Pm and the temp here is a sunny 26 degrees.

My last FGMO tratment was two weeks ago (when it was unseasonable warm) including emulsion cords. Are the bees all set for winter?
It's is currently in the 30's in Indiana and was wondering if futher FGMO applications should be made on those ocasional warm days during the winter?

Answer:
I would not now because I might break up the cluster and kill the bees.
If you feel that you have done all you can for the bees I would leave them alone until Spring. It sounds as though you are ready. Relax and read more about your hoby of keeping bees. I do
30 + years of beekeeping and still learning
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts