Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a small hive going into winter due to a laying worker this summer. We have had unusually cold weather in NC Piedmont area, and the bees stopped feeding about a month ago, though syrup and dry sugar are available. I pulled the entrance reducer yesterday and I see a lot of dead bees on the bottom board, and some sluggish, moving bees at the entrance. Assuming that the cluster was big enough to harbor some survivors, and the warmer weather next week encourages some increased activity, should I pull the entrance reducer and dump the dead bees? I am concerned that the surviving bees will not be able to clear all the dead bees from the entrance. I am pretty realistic about maybe having to start over this spring, but I would like to do what I can to pull this small hive through.

Thanks for suggestions --

Debbie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did re-queen and the hive did very well until this latest cold snap -- lots of brood and new bees. I think if temps had remained around our average (50 degrees F in daytime) I would have been fine.

Debbie

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I would leave it as is at this point... If later this spring it shows activity than I would consider clearing the bottom board.... if not than dump them and start over....

If you have a warm (60ish) dark room you could move the whole hive into it may fair better until warmer weather hits.... you will also be able to hear if they are still alive within a few hrs of warming back up. Some of the bees on the bottom board may still be alive and will start to stir again once they start to warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts