Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to move hives during the winter? I have a friend who got bees about 6 months ago, 2 hives, 1 double deep and 1 single deep. He asked if I wanted them plus the 3 extra deep boxes and 6 extra medium boxes for $200. I think waiting till after winter is good to make sure they make it, but $280 is the cost of 2 packages around here with no extra equipment and moving while it is cold outside the bees are at least all home. I didn't know if that would break cluster to much for them to regroup. Move them in the morning or whenever or wait till it warms up and dont risk it. They will be moved about an hour away from the original spot. thanks

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I would carefully screen all possible entrances and then ratchet strap the boxes and lids and bottoms together so it can be picked up as one unit. Do this when the bees are not flying. Move them and let them set for several hours before removing the screens and straps. They will be fine. If you can orchestrate this so that the weather is warm enough so the bees can fly when you open them, it can be helpful but not all that necessary for them to possibly reorganize if necessary. They will gulp some stores because their metabolism will ramp way up while disturbed. Some sugar bricks on the top bars would not be a bad idea once they are back clustered for about three days. Get help lifting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts