Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question to Canadian beekeepers who winter outdoors;
Hows the outdoor hives looking this year?

It has not only been a consistently extreme cold winter but it has also been a windy winter. Im listening to the wind howl again on this -25degreeC night. Has anyone done a spot check this winter yet?

My indoor hives look fine so. Most hives are still holding big clusters and Im surprised how little bee drop there has been so far. I'm counting five wheel barrels so far. Thats below average for me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My climate is completely different from yours but I lost only two hives. One died from starving and other from an unknown reason. btw I don't wrap any of my hives

·
Registered
340 Posts
Our hives went into winter very strong. Our yards are also very well sheltered. About the end of the month we will start checking hives. I use one of those thermometers that will shoot a laser beam to read the temperature into the top entrance. You get a good idea of the strength of a hive by taking the temperature. If you have a dead hive the outside temp and inside temp will be about the same. I am not sure this winter is any worse than last years. We will have to see if we still have snow in May like last year. Our losses last year were 12%

1 - 4 of 4 Posts