Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is coming, thank god, but I have a question about hives in the winter. I'm starting my first hive this year and I'm extremely excited about it, in fact I'm starting to drive my partner nuts cause it's all I've been able to think or talk about, lol. Anyway, this past weekend I was at a local bee school and they mentioned that during the winter the bees gather together to keep warm...

Would closing the bottom board hurt them as far as reduced ventilation?
Would it be possible to cover the hive with an old blanket for extra insulation?
How about a heating cord? I'm not sure what it is actually called but you plug it in and wrap it around something and it keeps it from freezing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I really don't think there is any need for any of the things you mentioned especially in the GA. I use SBB year around and never close them up during the winter months and the bees seem to do just fine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree, your location is ideal, and unless some real strange things happen in GA, you don't need to worry much about heat. Any cold snap you have as long as it doesn't run for more than 2 or 3 weeks your bees should do fine. What breed of bees are you getting and from where?

Sounds like the bee bug has bitten you like it has most of us. You will have a blast. Try to have someone take pictures or video for you during your first year when doing inspections, mainly closeups. It will help you learn. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Winter in GA? :lpf: You guys crack me up. Most of the things like mentioned are done way up north...you should be fine. Anyone ever get some kutzu honey from their hives?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Not yet. Wondered if they worked it though. Got LOTS. Hey El, long as they have plenty of stores they are good. I just barely cracked the lid on mine to release some condensation and they are dang strong......no problems here....on the other side of the big city.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Spring is coming, thank god, but I have a question about hives in the winter. I'm starting my first hive this year and I'm extremely excited about it, in fact I'm starting to drive my partner nuts cause it's all I've been able to think or talk about, lol. Anyway, this past weekend I was at a local bee school and they mentioned that during the winter the bees gather together to keep warm...

Would closing the bottom board hurt them as far as reduced ventilation?
Would it be possible to cover the hive with an old blanket for extra insulation?
How about a heating cord? I'm not sure what it is actually called but you plug it in and wrap it around something and it keeps it from freezing.
oh i doubt you will even bother with wrapping. IT doesn't get really cold enough for long enough there. I lived in blairsville and didn't have any troubles.

·
Registered
662 Posts
At your location, you can leave a screened bottom board open year around. I agree with the others, you don't need to worry about the other measures you mentioned. Just make sure your bees go into winter with plenty of stores and you should be ok. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts