Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to feed some heavy syrup this week, temps will be getting into 40's and 50's during the day and 20's-30's in the evening. I'm using the Mann Lake top feeders. My question is about the amount of condesation that will be created and how much it will affect the bees. My thinking was I would put on in the AM and take off at night. Obviously it would be nice to just leave them on for a couple days overnight but not sure about how harmfull this would be for the bees. I was thinking about putting newspaper down, with access hole for bees, to replace inner cover and catch condensation?
Let me know what you think. Thanks, Chad

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You're a little late for top feeders. It will be too cold for the bees to get to them. They would however possibly take some syrup from an upended jar or pail feeder, placed directly on the top bars up on some 1/4" shims. Otherwise feed dry sugar. It's a good time to learn to make fondant. You can just put it on the inner cover.

Putting a layer of newspaper on the top bars with sugar on top of it has been discussed here. It might be your best option. (Absorbs water and feeds.)

dickm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts