Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my first winter farmer's market today, held once a month at the nearby national park. It was mobbed, all the greens went quick, park ranger told me there were people lined up before the doors opened. The table selling honey was doing a brisk business - people are probably running out of their supply bought in autumn.

Question - has anyone had any luck selling their honey to a local restaurant? Even if I was only able to provide part of their need it could be something they could "feature" on their menu for the summer or fall (e.g. honey harvested from hives less than 1 mile away).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I heard of a pizza parlor that bought smaller bottles of honey (16 oz.) to put on the table with the suggestion the customer dressed their "pizza bones" with honey.

I don't know what kind of deal the pizza parlor worked out, but it made for lots of referrals to the beekeeper for future sales.

I sell to a little mom-n-pop luncheonete. They simply buy my squeeze bottles and set them on the table for tea, buscuits, toast etc. I met this couple through a farmer's market before they started the luncheonette which in turn launched a catering business.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I sell 6 one half gallon jugs of honey to an Italian Restaurant each month. They use it in their chicken wings recipe.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used to sell 5 gallons to a local Mexican Restaurant, even lowered the price a little for them just for the visibility, but they eventually just went to Sam's for their honey cause it was 2 cents cheaper. Oh well. :doh: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm the guy Grant may be refering to. I sell some my honey to a local pizza joint. They buy 12. oz bears and Gallons for refills. http://www.jerrysbaitshop.net/ They've got a great lunch pizza buffet (pizza bones). People put the honey on their pizza crusts. I'd never heard of it but once I tried it, I'll be the first to say it's really good. Great nite life if you're into live music as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts