Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually overwinter with 2 8-frame deeps. This year's harvest was way more than I expected and wanted to leave a super of honey on each hive. I just wanted to confirm that I should be putting this on the bottom of the stack.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
472 Posts
No. Bees prefer honey overhead. They prefer pollen below. I winter in a medium, deep, medium config. I'm going for what bees would naturally want to do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No. Bees prefer honey overhead. They prefer pollen below. I winter in a medium, deep, medium config. I'm going for what bees would naturally want to do.
And make sure that, if you use a queen excluder, you remove it between the deeps and the super-don't want the cluster to move up without the queen!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I usually overwinter with 2 8-frame deeps. This year's harvest was way more than I expected and wanted to leave a super of honey on each hive. I just wanted to confirm that I should be putting this on the bottom of the stack.
Why the bottom and not the top? I am under the strong impression bees like their honey overhead where it is warmer. In my area I have chosen a medium+deep+medium configuration, top to bottom and all year. ( I also used what I had at the time but see no reason to change.) What I observe is the bees, in general, use the bottom medium frames as expansion space if needed, an exchange or hand-off area like a subway station and a place to hang out during summer. During Fall feeding they fill the top medium with honey (I can add super honey frames if necessary but feed 2:1syrup). They also backfill the deep or main brood chamber as major brood rearing ceases. The bottom becomes a moisture condenser (cold spot), possibly a location for excess syrup honey (I will be checking soon). I look to have a minimum of 80 lb. net syrup honey or nectar honey. A 10-frame medium plus 7 deep frames gives me the needed space for honey leaving three deep frames for brood and bee bread ( in the center so it seems). This leaves the bottom for adapting to the seasons.

One important point about my setup - I heavily insulate the top and four sides of the hive and allow the bottom of the medium and the entrance to go cold. Also, I have no top vent but I do not get buried in 3-4 feet of snow very often ( not since 1968).

You will get a lot of different opinions, Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts