Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone doing this winter to get ready for spring? We've been cutting down 10 frame equipment to 8 frame, repairing and painting. We've also ordered our queens. Here is a sample of what we've done so far.....

·
Registered
413 Posts
I spent the last year reading and learning, 2011 will be my first year.

I've already ordered a package and a Nuc, as well as assembling and painting 6 Mediums.

This Winter I'll be:
Reading some more (currently half-way through The Hive and the Honey Bee.
Assembling a Box Jig.
Assembling Frames.
Assembling some other equipment (Top Feeders, Ventilated Inner Covers, misc. parts, and maybe an Observation Hive)
Reading some more.
Thinking about adding either another Nuc, or Package...

TP

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just painted my new hive, linseed oiled my dad's new hive (his preference), assembled most of my nucs (they are relatively square...) and started on the gazillion frames. (Do they really need 10 nails and glue? Where do the end nails go?)

Still reading and learning. Enrolled in a winter class, and the guy I am getting bees from is going to teach me to graft! :D

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Built 9 hives from scratch. They may be ugly but by golly they are tough. Have to assemble the frames still, for that i toss the nails and use a finishing nail gun and glue. They seem tough and a whole lot easier than hammering the frames. Have the nucs and queens ordered and planning on splitting my only current hive(assuming it survives, but looking good so far)...

Beyond that eagerly awaiting spring in the mountains of NE Oregon and hoping for a honey crop this year. I left all the honey in the hive from last year. The winters here are longish and i was not brave enough to take their honey ;)

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently working on assembling two hives (10 medium supers and two hive bodies) from some lumber that I got at a local place. I am looking forward to the spring and getting started with beekeeping.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
" Do they really need 10 nails and glue? Where do the end nails go?"
I questioned this too. In the past - with very different glue - I also used 10 nails.

Now I use an exceptional glue (Titebond III) and 4 nails. As an experiment I only glued a FS frame and gave it the stress test: It came apart at about 15 kg pull! I think the nails are simply there to make us feel good! The weight of a full frame of honey is less then 3 kg. I believe that glue and 4 nails ( or staples) is plenty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll be putting some exterior finish on my second 8-frame medium hive, researching more information and constructing the second hive stand; which I am quite proud of!

I saw a Thread at 'another' site with an image of a stand I really liked; redwood, sturdy, open to the ground underneath the boxes.

Too bad most mite traps/screened bottom boards have the hardware clothe stapled to a 'frame' and the frame dado'd into the outer walls, leaving a ledge for pests....I got's plans for that too!

Just wish the weather would cooperate a touch more for finishing coatings!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will be building 20 8 frame hives and 50 Nucs as soon as my lumber comes in. All my other equipment is cleaned up and ready for bees. I still have 300 frames left to put together. {nail gun and titebond for me}I can't wait for march to get here.This will be my 3rd season.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This is an entertaining thread.
I have to build another 100 pallets
100 complete mating mini NUCs
several hundred lids
several hundred boxes, with frames to fill them for deep brood boxes
several hundred boxes with with frames to fill for supers
rebuild feed pump

Sure am glad I have 2 teenage boys living at the house still.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You guys are serious! I feel guilty just planning on doing a one hive split because I already have enough hive boxes to work it out. Going to have way more honey than I can use as it is.

Fog

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
2011 season started for me 2 weks ago. Started bring in blood boxes to get them cleanup. Started spraying syrup 3 days ago and reset 42 hives yesterday. Only have another 800+ to go. Hopeing packages will be on time this year, 86 days till package pickup.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Done so far:
Assembled and painted 100 deeps
Assembled and painted 10 shallows
Assembled 100 shallow foundationless frames
Built and painted 50 telescoping covers
Built 50 bottom boards of cedar 2x4's
Still to do:
16-5 frame Nuc boxes
50 ventilation boxes
Install galvanized #8 cloth on 50 bottom boards
Cut trays for bottom boards and paint them white (election signs:D)
Build 100 drone frames (scientific beekeeping style)

I believe, this is it

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Keep your eyes on Craigslist. I picked up 45 boards, 1 x 12 x 8foot last fall for $50. Some had some splits. After cutting of the splits and ripping to 9 and 5/8 I have enough wood to make 33 deeps. Thats how I'll spend the rest of the winter - in my Carhart insulated overalls standing by my table saw. I have to watch it, I am in danger of making more boxes than I need.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just painted my new hive, linseed oiled my dad's new hive (his preference), assembled most of my nucs (they are relatively square...) and started on the gazillion frames. (Do they really need 10 nails and glue? Where do the end nails go?)

Still reading and learning. Enrolled in a winter class, and the guy I am getting bees from is going to teach me to graft! :D
Yes they need 10 nails or 6 staples and glue. The end nails go under the frame ear through the end bar and into the top bar. I helps you from prying the top bar out of the frame which really sucks when it is full of honey and or brood.
As far as what i am doing this winter. My grandfather passed this year:cry: and i have gotten his equipment and extractors. It is all in ok shape. Boxs need clamped, screwed and painted some are getting cut down. We did burn a lot of the wood, pap was in bad health for a few years an wouldnt let us fix honey house roof so it collaped 3 years ago. As you can think it was bad for all wood in there and the extractors and spiners were rained on alot:eek:. I pulled out the extracting equipment and to my suprise it all works fine just needs cleaned and the iron painted:applause:. We hope to be able to build our honey house next year.

·
Registered
175 Posts
" Do they really need 10 nails and glue? Where do the end nails go?"
I questioned this too. In the past - with very different glue - I also used 10 nails.

Now I use an exceptional glue (Titebond III) and 4 nails. As an experiment I only glued a FS frame and gave it the stress test: It came apart at about 15 kg pull! I think the nails are simply there to make us feel good! The weight of a full frame of honey is less then 3 kg. I believe that glue and 4 nails ( or staples) is plenty.
Stick it in a hive and let the glue it in place real good fill with honey then try to pry it out. I think you will lose the top bar and or the bottem bar when you pry the box off.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I built 8 new top bar hives and 6 swarm traps. I just ordered 6 packages of bees and if my 3 current hives winter well (which so far they have....knock on wood) I'll be able to split those and have 12 colonies this year. Who knows how swarm season will go. I'll put the word out and maybe be able to catch a couple swarms to add a few more. This should be an exiting year.:D

Mike

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh, I haven't even got to the planning part!! :doh::doh
Bought a house in Sept. and am still moving stuff and trying to get a halfway
woodworking shop put together after I get done cleaning out all the previous owners crap!
Figure I will probably start stapling and glueing woodenware together when the dandilions are blooming!
I really HATE moving, told the wife this is it I am planning on living in this house until I start fertilizing dandilions with my remains!
Have to tear down one old building and start construction on a new honeybottling/extracting building after do some remodeling on the house and working another job, taking care of kids and oh yeah, taking care of bees!
STRESSED OUT MAN! :eek: Anybody looking for sharing some workload? I can pay you back in 40 years! :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
I plan on adding 100 new colonies, I already have part of the equipment together but still have a lot to go. As a professional woodworker, I have all the staplers and paint sprayers to make it go fast. I use wooden frames and plastic foundation. In case anyone is interested, I do not make hive bodies or frames but I do make bottoms, inner covers and top covers. Another project this winter will be teaching at the Eastern CT Beekeepers Assn Bee School. I notice a lot of relatively new beekeepers writing in this forum. To them I say welcome to my passion but also suggest that they contact their association and see about a bee school. This will get them off to a good start.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts