Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to know if anyone has tried to use NO Melt Apple Dough as a Winter feed. I saw this a Meijer and pick one up. It says it only contains Rendered Beef Suet, Corn, Wheat , Artificial Apple Flavoring. I have not used it yet and I do not want to harm my bee's. This is my first year Bee keeping.

I hope that I put this in the correct form / post

Jim

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Many animals are vegetarians but are force fed animal by products usually to increase a bottom line. We humans are force fed corn products in our diet at very unnatural quantities both in the plant and animal foods that we eat.
Unfortunately, this is a normal way of doing things today. It certainly isn't natural and it will continue because there isn't a practical way of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that it is bad. On the other hand they have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it is good (for a bottom line).

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
You call it good for the bottom line, but I see it totally differently. Its a cheap food policy.

Many animals are vegetarians but are force fed animal by products usually to increase a bottom line. We humans are force fed corn products in our diet at very unnatural quantities both in the plant and animal foods that we eat.
Unfortunately, this is a normal way of doing things today. It certainly isn't natural and it will continue because there isn't a practical way of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that it is bad. On the other hand they have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it is good (for a bottom line).

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Jim, I think that food would hurt your bees if fed over the winter. It might look nice and easy to feed but its not straight sugar which means the bees will have to excrete waste while consuming it. And if they are confined to the hive and flightless during the time of feeding, their guts will fill. Bees can only excrete waste while flying, well until they start to get sick, then they start making a mess within the hive.

So, id probably not feed that stuff

keep it simple, keep it sugar

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
I think that it probably doesn't contain enough protein or sugar to benefit the bees. I don't think it would do much good or harm either for that matter. I doubt it would be consumed. Unless you know you are going to have flying weather, you don't really want the bees ingesting a lot of indigestable solids do you? I think the chickadees would benefit more from your purchase.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I can't believe the OP was serious.
It's clearly labled and marketed as bird food.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was just a question, that I was asking as I'm new to bee keeping,and as for the comment It's clearly lab led and marketed as bird food.*The last time I checked sugar is not clearly labeled and marked bee feed either. I did some additional checking and it is not good for bee's and I will not be using it. Thank you for comments.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
kc8bvf, (is that a ham license?)

i would recommend reading on bushfarms.com, (or get the book).

excellent info on feeding and just about anything else bee related.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts