Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked on my bee yards today and everyone was a hummin .

The nuc on the end I thought was a dead out turned out to be just find today. I had checked it like a week ago and it cluster was half frozen so I figured it was doomed . Well I was wrong seemed to be humming right along.
What is strange is the hive I thought was going to die early is the orange on in the front

it is a nuc that was robbed out all summer long [along with most my nucs] and was by all means a dinky.
I have had 2 dead outs this year .
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?292988-Post-mortem
One a TRI NUC as I like to call them 5 over 5 over 5.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?293138-Post-mortem-2-A-DBL-DEEP
And a DBL. deep
Both where healthy and had laying queens . Both seem to get frozen in one spot and could not get to the honey or sugar that was just inches away but yet the dinky rolls on with just sugar go figure.
There was bees on the snow so they where trying to fly not a good idea:(

It was 14 degrees and this hive had bees looking out the top entrance and one came out at me so I'm going to have say they where not clustered make me wonder what temp. they really cluster at?

I can not wait till spring I'm going to have bees every where by FALL.:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Love these pictures! The beeyard one is so pretty, your hives are so bright and colorful, and the one with the bees poking out is adorable!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice lookin yard. I like your 420 hwy sign back there. State of Colorado is replacing the 420 mile markers with 419.99 mile markers as they get stolen :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very cool apiary!:thumbsup: Question Glock. I see the picture with a top entrance. Do you also provide a bottom? or is the one it?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice lookin yard. I like your 420 hwy sign back there. State of Colorado is replacing the 420 mile markers with 419.99 mile markers as they get stolen :D
So funny! But I bet those get stolen just as frequently lol.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool apiary!:thumbsup: Question Glock. I see the picture with a top entrance. Do you also provide a bottom? or is the one it?
Yes I do have a bottom entrance .The hive looks like this from the front

The board in the front is so wind does not blow in the front . There is a mouse guard behind the board .
This set up has worked for me for 3 years now.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is not stolen it was a internet buy.:)
I'm all way's looking to ad some thing to my bee yards besides more bees .
It's -16 here this morning I hate winter!:(

·
Registered
813 Posts
Were the bees on the snow just in front of one hive or were they throughout your apiary? I'm a first year beekeeper and your picture looks just like the front of my hive.... Should I be concerned or is this normal? Temps here in eastern mass have not been above the 20's since our last snow.....

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Were the bees on the snow just in front of one hive or were they throughout your apiary? I'm a first year beekeeper and your picture looks just like the front of my hive.... Should I be concerned or is this normal? Temps here in eastern mass have not been above the 20's since our last snow.....
Dead bees on fresh snow means your hives are still alive... When you stop seeing them, bee worried.

Glock: I think because of the wrapping your hives are not clustering because it is warm in those hives. At 14 F my hives are very well clustered. They are not insulated however.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice looking yard there Glock. You must do something special to get that white stuff cause my yard here in TN doesn't have that.:s

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's throughout my apiary and it is normal I'll bet your bees will make it we are just about there.
Dead bees dot the snow every where around my bee yards more so around the DBL. deep . Not as many around the nucs.

Spring is going to be so fun this year I am shooting for 30 nucs and 15 production hives we will see but I know I won't be buying bees.:D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice looking yard there Glock. You must do something special to get that white stuff cause my yard here in TN doesn't have that.:s
Thanks rub it in :) I would love some warm weather it has been a long time since the bees could really do any real flying. I guess there is going to be a few day next week in the upper 40s time to put some sugar on the hives that need it and the bees can relieve themselves.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Thanks for the info Glock on the dead bees...being this is my first winter I was concerned about the amount of dead bees around the dbl-deeps...I don't have the experience to gauge what "normal" poop looks like vs. sickbees...also, really like your setup of the bee yard...we have bears here and my fencing looks flimsy compared to yours. Is your fencing solar powered?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts