Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to put a plexiglass window in the outer top cover to see into the hive in winter? Right now, I put a pad of blue foam insulation over the outer cover for added heat retention. I'm thinking I'd be able to lift the foam and see inside without having to expose the bees to drafts. Anyone see any drawbacks?

·
Registered
275 Posts
So is this going to replace the inner cover? I would think that condensation might be a problem. If you got that licked then there shouldn't be any issues. Might be handy to see if the bees have come to the top and may need feeding.

Pete0
Bena, VA

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Moisture condenses on cold surfaces. If the insulation is adequate, the polycarbonate sheet should not be cold, and therefore, not condense moisture.
Be wary of drafts below the insulation, or below the polycarbonate sheet.

Roland

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure of the window part. The insulation is a good thing. I put insulation on top of the inner cover with a feeder directly over the hole. The whole thing gives about 2" of insulation on top of the hive and when I open the top cover I can see down inside the feeder into the top bars. there is a deep box around the feeder and insulation. No problems with moisture.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. Seems quite feasible. I usually have a top ventilation hole in the side of the hive body so I think the condensation problem will be minimized. Probably have to wait until next winter, or until a significant warm spell this winter (like that's going to happen).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts