Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw 70 mile per hour winds and torrential rains today. I was at the back window fretting about the hives because I couldn't see them 35 yards away. Watched heavy lawn chairs doing endo's and sailing by, the canoe took a trip out to the road. My monster grill of about 300 lbs. rolled about 10 ft. My son opened the front door which was on the leeward side of the wind only to be stampeded by the 2 orphan raccoons, the cats, and one blackbird. Lost one Maple tree that just missed the house as well as some roof shingles.

But the bee hives are fine.

Just another day in Michigan. I've seen it snow in June, had near misses with tornado's and dealt with suffocating heat with 90+humidity. Not boring. We say, "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minuets".

Now if the bear that raided some hives about 9 miles away in the last few days goes somewhere else, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
"Snow" - I got snowed on, hail and torrential rain in July while getting up onto the Continental Divide trail (what passes for it) in the Weminuche Wilderness. Nice part was the melting snow on the peaks and ridges provided lots of water.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snow in June indeed. Michigan's Upper Peninsula is in part, North of Canada. Technically speaking part of Canada is South of some of Michigan. The U.P. or "Yooper land" is in the North 45th to 48th parallel. And if you include Isle Royal you can reach the 49th parallel. Wouldn't surprise me if that Island has seen snow in every month of the year. From my home to the wife's family farm is a 500 mile trip.

Around Houghton I have seen more than 150 inches of snow before Christmas. Some areas near by typically see more than 300 inches of snow per year. I have had to deal with -36 F temperature in the Winter. 8ft deep water lines froze and broke. Yooper's joke that they do have 4 seasons. Winter, winter, winter, and 3 weeks of rough sledding. Hockey is quite popular.

On the day I saw snow in June it was 39 degrees. (reported temperature, but my guess is that there were cold spots) The day before it was in the 80's. The best part was that the trout fishing was great and the second day the mosquitoes were not flying. Elevation is just 100 ft.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
477 Posts
We get massive wind storms in Sisters Oregon. My home is at the base of the Three Sisters Wilderness. My hives have a white coroplast roof that acts as an awning (4 inches wider than telescopic lid all around) weighed down with a large concrete block. The extended roof/awning keeps rain and snow from washing bees away and the block keeps the whole thing in place. Really happy with how it functions. No malfunctions yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts