Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow not cool! I just got done resetting them on their stand.
Impromptu inspection since the hives were 4 boxes deep each and they were far too heavy to just heft back onto the stand.

So i had to separate each box and restack them. Holy cow these hives are BOOMING! The deeps were heavy like full honey supers and there were TONS of bees in each box.
So now i have to hope the queens were not injured in the hives tipping over but thankfully it happened about 1-2 hrs ago only , its not raining, its 42deg and the bottom boards stayed on the hives and the tops stayed on 2 of the 4 meaning apart from taking a not too fun ride the bees were all still inside their hives albeit lying on their sides.

Cross ur fingers the queens were not injured/killed.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Sounds like you lucked out with the the bodies not being scattered about. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope all is well with your hives.
yeah hope so mate . Ill have to check for the queens when its little warmer in the next few days.
I have 20+ hives and ill be grafting this summer so i can always replace these bees but im hoping they make it through these are survivor queens.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you lucked out with the the bodies not being scattered about. Let us know how it turns out.
ill be checking those hives on Sunday. Its forecast to be in the mid 60s here on Sunday. I had a couple hives blow over 4 years ago and they were still ok so im hopeful.
All of these hives have ratchet ties around them but the melting snow made the front of the stand dig in and tipped this group of 4 hives slightly forward. Then the big time winds here today did the rest.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put sidewalk pavers on top in the winter and still have them on for just this reason. I'm still going out to check again.
all of my hives in addition to being ratchet strapped individually are also for winter strapped together in groups of 4 and each one has a full sized cinder block on top of them. This will give an idea as to how strong the wind was yesterday in skaneateles NY. Unfortunately the soft ground had the front cinder blocks of the hive stand sink in and tip the whole hive stand forward and the wind did the rest.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yep, that wind came out of nowhere yesterday midday here in NJ too as that front came thru. Crazy strong gusts. I was happy to find my hives still standing when I got home from work. I hope all works out okay for you!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The wind has been crazy this fall, winter and spring. Had a 45 mph gust yesterday. I have had tops blow off here with a full block on them, but not the whole hive. Might want to dig out the dirt and add some stone when everything thaws. Hope they are ok. J

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The wind has been crazy this fall, winter and spring. Had a 45 mph gust yesterday. I have had tops blow off here with a full block on them, but not the whole hive. Might want to dig out the dirt and add some stone when everything thaws. Hope they are ok. J
thanks mate. Yup exactly the plan this weekend
-> dig each cinder block out fill hole with sand then put gravel/stone on top of the sand then put 16inch pavers on top of the stone then replace the cinder blocks on top of the pavers, then the 4x4s over that.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Was nice and warm today so i checked the 4 hives that had blown over.
3 of the 4 have queens and eggs/brooding up nicely
The 4th whilst all 3 deep boxes are full of bees there is literally NO BROOD on any frames.
Really weird they were quietly working, not roaring or pissy like they were queenless but i pulled every frame and found no eggs or brood of any age. That tells me that either the queen is not yet laying ( weird because all the other hives are brooding up bigtime) or she has been gone since well before the hives tipped over 4 days ago.
Either way i added a frame from another hive with eggs/larvae of all sorts of ages so that if they dont have a queen they can raise another..
Ill be grafting this year and i have some saskatraz queens coming April 27 so its not the end of the world but certainly weird.
I may end up having to purchase a southern queen just to keep the hive going and then requeen it in a few weeks with a grafted northern queen.

Alternately if they are looking like pettering out i will combine them with queen right hives and separate them again once i have grafted queens available.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
well there is hope, found capped drone cells in 3 different yards, they are a bit early, like quite a bit early, but they would be ready for your queens.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well there is hope, found capped drone cells in 3 different yards, they are a bit early, like quite a bit early, but they would be ready for your queens.
yeah ive seen drones wandering around the frames and a little capped drone brood here and there also. Weird this seems very early for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts