Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the yard today, thought i'de share a pic of my wimpy little late season warm, looks like there gonna make it!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Look at those bees :) Congrats! Hope they grow big and strong for you this season!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Congrats. I had one about that size. Put a pollen patty and have fed like crazy. She was laying and they are foraging like crazy here in San Antonio tx. Nice job. They usually turn out strong.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Feed!!!!!!!

LoL. They have 1 deep and 1 medium left. I put on a little polley patty which was devoured, due to warm temps the cluster was broken, but its about 3 frames, didn't remove any frames yet though, Ill wait until March.. The nuc is suprisingly nice, I have another hive strong as can with plenty of stores be that is mean as hell for some reason. The queen is jet black and hatched a day early last year, I may pinch her if she doesn't straighten out by the main flow.

Eric

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
They don't look so wimpy to me, I've seen much worse that survived. A couple years back I had a weak hive make it through the winter, but there was only about 300 bees and the queen left, so I put them into a 5 frame nuc and kept a feeder and sub on them, but still didn't expect them to prosper. Well, they did take a long time to build up, but eventually they turned into a really strong hive and produced a couple supers of honey.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have two nucs that look just about the same as them. First year wintering nucs and was supprised that one deep nuc lasted this winter so far.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They were bringing in yellow and orange pollen today. I guess dead heads of some fall flower, no way dandelions or anything is blooming after the extreme cold and snow. who knows...

·
Registered
21 Posts
My small nuc survived as well- 4 deep frames in an otherwise empty 10 frame deep super. They were a a small late season split made because I thought I lost a queen. They even survived at least 1 round of being robbed late last year. So far, so good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They were bringing in yellow and orange pollen today. I guess dead heads of some fall flower, no way dandelions or anything is blooming after the extreme cold and snow. who knows...
Its likely early pollen. They find it way earlier than I would have guessed before I took up beekeeping. There are not always many flying days in our area in Feb, but I've been told if they can fly they will find it by the second week of February. I've forgotten which tree it is that they can get the early pollen from in the mid-south...maybe maple?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts