Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Nucs...each a single 5 frame box.

One is strong with an active Queen.

The other was made up of 2 frames of open and closed brood, one of nectar, pollen and some honey and 2 frames of undrawn foundation. This hive was given mated Queen in a Queen cage with a fondant plug. Same evening another person fed the yard...all fed inside the hive. The nuc was robbed out...no Queen, shredded out honey/nectar frames, no Queen to be found. This was noticed until 3 weeks after the Queen had been released. There were eggs...some singles in cells but lots of cells with many eggs laid in all different directions but admittedly most on the bottom of the cells. After the robbing there was a pile of dead bees on the bottom board...must admit I did not find the Queen in the pile. I carefully checked the frames and the box but no Queen seen. Went back 2 days later and still saw no Queen but lots of multiple..like 6+ eggs per cell. I shook the box out and returned the empty box with bee less frames to their original spot. The next day the population didn't much less. I waited 2 days then combined them with the strong nuc.

I did this by first putting a Queen excluder above the strong nuc frames, then a sheet of newspaper with a few slits, then put the shook out nuc above them. I really would be surprised if a Queen, or laying worker had flown back to the assumed laying worker hive.

The strong nuc was in need of a second story. I used the weakly populated shook hive with some drawn comb as that second story.

I thought this should work. What do you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I agree, it could work. However, it could also fail. You will just have to take a peak in a week and see what is up with them. Sometimes what we want bees to do or think they will do, is not what they actually do. Good luck, I think they have a good chance.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fingers crossed. I will feel badly if somehow the stronger nuc fails through my interference but hoped I could give both a chance by combining.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts