Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a very long and cold winter. In SE NC this isn't a terrible winter however it did cause the main flow to start at least three weeks later than I've ever experienced. This didn't conern me as a beekeeper initially because I figured things would bloom whenever they were ready to bloom. Now I am concerned that this flow may be a very short one. The reason I say this is because there are several plants that are blooming at the same time that normally bloom weeks apart. Right now I've got Gallberry, Tulip Poplar and Holly that are about done and wild privet and sweet bay in full swing. Typically these are starting to bloom well after the gallberry and holly. The overlap this year is huge and I suspect it will lessen the foraging days. Any input from those with similar experiences?
Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Black locust overlapped Tulip Poplar in East Tn this year and normally locust is before Tulip flow. So you may be right on some tree species this spring.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Same here, we have several big nectar producers blooming at once, we usually have a dearth in July and August I'm seeing the possibility of this year having a dearth for June, July, and August, That's a lot of sugar to buy.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Here in East/Central Maryland the locust is one to 1-1/2 weeks from start of bloom (if it occurs). Tulip poplar is about 1 week away. I am still feeding with 1:1. If you don't feed, the bees don't draw comb. American Holly is just starting to bloom.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here in East/Central Maryland the locust is one to 1-1/2 weeks from start of bloom (if it occurs). Tulip poplar is about 1 week away. I am still feeding with 1:1. If you don't feed, the bees don't draw comb. American Holly is just starting to bloom.
Wow that seems late. Much later than here and we are a month late on some flowers.
Anyone know anything about the Tulip poplar extrafloral nectaries? This is a nectar (not aphid excrement the btw) that is produced separate from flowers???
I have supers with nearly capped frames and the honey is "water white". Gallbery and Tulip poplar supposedly produce a medium/dark honey. My honey is always very very light and clear. Maybe the books are wrong because these two flowers are definitely the main sources. Tulip poplar here is so plentiful as is gallberry.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think we will get a little shorter flow, but much larger than usual with everything blooming. Should even out as the girls will fill cells quicker.
I like the sound of that. Being a glass half empty kind of guy I'll see it when I believe it.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
we're seeing the same thing here challenger. i think it means that the colonies that were strong at the outset of the main flow will be in better shape compared to those that were behind on their build up and the caught swarms and splits.

my other concern is that we've not had a good rain in a couple of weeks and the forecast is for mostly hot and dry weather in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we're seeing the same thing here challenger. i think it means that the colonies that were strong at the outset of the main flow will be in better shape compared to those that were behind on their build up and the caught swarms and splits.

my other concern is that we've not had a good rain in a couple of weeks and the forecast is for mostly hot and dry weather in the foreseeable future.
Yes I think this is going to be a blow to my expansion plans. Without a flow I'm going to have trouble making new queens. I'm very new to queen rearing and I want to do it with a flow on. Also I don't feel like feeding splits. It's so much easier to split with a good flow.

As for rain we have not had much but we had a perfect amount in the spring. I suspect dry weather will have a negative impact but I also think having rain while the sap is rising is much more important than rain during flowering.
I can't back this up-just seat of the pants thinking. This is the region I do most of my thinking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts