Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hive that's non-productive and prone to swarming. I checked it today and it appears they're planning to swarm soon. The queen seems to have stopped laying in the last week or so and there are a number of queen cells, even though there's lots of space and plenty of empty drawn comb. (This hive has never produced a surplus, nor has it even drawn out a single frame in a super.)

My best bet is to cut 'em short and do a split, but I want to use eggs from my strongest hive to get them to produce a new queens with, hopefully, better characteristics. Can someone tell me if the following plan is OK? I intend to kill the queen and destroy any existing queen cells. I'll separate the existing hive (two deeps) and place most of the capped brood and nurse bees along with a frame of eggs (from my good hive) and a couple of frames of honey and pollen onto a new site and let them rear a new queen.

I'll leave two frames of brood, take one frame of eggs from the good hive, and leave mostly empty frames at the old location which should get filled by the foraging bees. Then I'll let them rear their own queen too.

One minor concern is that when I checkerboarded my strongest hive the queen promptly began laying in the supers, ignoring the empty frames in the deep hive body below. When I checked today she's still up there laying. Consequently I'll be using a shallow frame with eggs alongside deep frames for the bees to raise queens from.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would pinch the queen, make it into 2 equal parts and leave it for a 4 or 5 days then destroy queen cells again. Then when you add eggs from your other hive they will be the only ones available of the correct age. Have both hives right next to each other, and they should split the work force (if they seem uneven you can swap sides before your queens hatch out).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts