Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a handful of small splits yesterday with capped Queen cells, most were two and a half frames. There's a good flow going on with the Golden rain trees and Spanish needle in my location and I plan to feed through winter to help the smaller colonies. I'm all out of frames with drawn comb though and I'm wondering if these small splits will build out at least a few more frames of comb before the dead of winter, which isn't saying much for Central Florida. Thanks.

Hunter

·
Registered
46 Posts
"There are certain conditions necessary for the initiation of comb construction: (1) bees prefer to initiate comb construction in the dark4, (2) building ceases in the absence of a queen5, and (3) workers must have adequate protein nutrients early in adult life if they are to activate their wax glands and serve as comb builders"
https://americanbeejournal.com/comb-building-in-the-honey-bee-superorganism/

I might try feeding them pollen and see if they take it. I'm not sure about the pollen available at this time of year in your area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is some brazilian pepper nearby but more than likely just out of range. The closest I've seen is a few miles away. There are plenty of Golden rain trees in bloom close by though and bees are as thick on them as I've seen on anything and over the last week they've started bringing in a lot of nectar. I have a location with loads of brazilian pepper but I'm not using it yet, it's an hour away and has security issues I have to consider. Plenty of pollen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's not too cold, you can add an empty frame between 2 frame of capped brood and then feed some 1:1 sugar syrup. They should start drawing that out quickly. Once they get started drawing, they keep going if they have nectar or syrup. On July 11, I made a split with 2 frames of brood and 1 frame of honey and a mated queen. With some syrup and pollen patty, they drew out the entire 10 frame box with comb by early September. They can definitely draw comb for you but you need to give them the resources artificially as their foraging populations are too small to collect enough on their own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts