Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my nucs today- each with 5 deep frames and a caged queen.
I have not opened the shipping boxes (they have screened ventilation holes).

I decided not to install them in the two new hives today because it's 50F and windy and nasty, plus tonight is a frost warning of possible 32F.

Tomorrow supposed to be windy and in the 60's (much warmer) but again cold tomorrow night but a tiny bit less cold at 35F.

After that should be lots of days in the 70's and lows of 50's at night.

Will it be ok to install the nuc frames and caged queens tomorrow?- I hate to leave the bees in their shipping box too long.

Will tomorrow's 60F day and 35F night be ok for them? The queens will be hung (inside their cages) in the center of the hives til the cage candy gets eaten through....so my question is- will the bees keep the queens warm through that first 35F night even though the queens are still in their cages?

I was thinking of installing them once it hits 60 tomorrow in the late afternoon, and put some 1:1 syrup in baggie feeders on the top bars, with a shim. They will also have their partially drawn nuc frames, and a whole full frame of honey each that I had saved from my old hive. But they'd still have that first initial hived night going down to 35F if I hive them tomorrow. Will they be ok with that?

They were shipped on Tuesday (yesterday) and arrived today, so they travelled from GA to NY in one day, Priority Mail. (amazing!)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If tomorrow is convenient for you then that will be alright, I would keep them in the basement and they should have a can of syrup with them already so they can feed and yes the cluster of bees around the cage with the queen inside will keep the queen warm! I have another package coming this saturday and its suppose to be rainning that day and the next several after that. I will be installing them anyways rain or shine! I will dose them with sugar water enough to where they dont even want to fly and they will go right down in the box! Good Luck!

P.S.- 50 degrees or better is alright to hive them bees!! Last night it got to be 34 degrees of a night and mine are fine...I didnt even have the bottom board on either!

·
Registered
760 Posts
was just wondering .....if you dont have a bottom board ....how did you install your bees??? wouldn't they just fall to the ground below???

just crossed my mind

but yeah a small cluster will keep the queen happy - just give them food that is close by

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was just wondering .....if you dont have a bottom board ....how did you install your bees??? wouldn't they just fall to the ground below???
I'm guessing they meant they had their screen bottom board 'open'- without the mite tray in closing the screen opening. I also have an 'open' screen bottom board- but the bees will not fall through it to the ground. ;)

but yeah a small cluster will keep the queen happy - just give them food that is close by
this is reassuring- thank you both!
I will install tomorrow! Everything is ready!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts