Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
what does the law say about buying and selling seeds/fertilizer for farming?
no clue, but someone emailed the head bee inspector and they called them back and said selling is ok, now I would have preferred that in writing myself that way I could have it with me if I need it.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
What about packages?

I am hoping Colorado does not do anything. One of the large package suppliers is already planning on doing a drive thru package pickup.
part of the problem is the supply chain, if the supply chain doesn't think it's critical, they may not arrive on time or at all. we have queens scheduled in, lose a box of those and you are out a significant amount of money. Have been a few reports on here about packages not showing up, not bees but people have gotten notices from ups saying package will be here tomorrow, and suddenly one of the ups hubs shuts down, we assumed because some one got carona and they have to disinfect the place.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
part of the problem is the supply chain, if the supply chain doesn't think it's critical, they may not arrive on time or at all. we have queens scheduled in, lose a box of those and you are out a significant amount of money. Have been a few reports on here about packages not showing up, not bees but people have gotten notices from ups saying package will be here tomorrow, and suddenly one of the ups hubs shuts down, we assumed because some one got carona and they have to disinfect the place.
I ordered a package from a place that brings a trailer (500+) of packages from California and distributes them in Colorado. I am hoping that a small company with a trailer full of bees can still make a delivery. I have not heard that they are canceling their trip yet.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
50/50.........LJ
I disagree with this 50/50 approach.

Subject 1 - 35 year old male with with wife, 3 kids and a steady job, healthy, physically active, mentally stable, a non-smoker.
Subject 2 - 98 year old male, living alone, in frail health due to age, with propensity to infections, mentally weak, etc, etc.

50/50 of the Subject 1 <> 50/50 of the Subject 2.
Likelihood of Subject 1 dying today <> Likelihood of Subject 2 dying today.
So that's the stats.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,802 Posts
When I took statistics, we used the concept of an equally weighted coin being used in a coin toss. It will either land on heads, or will land on tails. Because it is equally weighted, the chances of either occuring are 50/50. The chance remains the same no matter how many times in a row it lands on one or the other. Just because an event only has two possible outcomes, the probabilty of either occuring is not necessarily 50% as the two outcomes are not equally weighted.

In other news, my local bee inspector told me that it is pretty much business as usual at VDACS. He will be out later this month for my annual apiary inspection.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The North Dakota Agriculture Commissioner has determined beekeepers are an essential business.

https://www.nd.gov/ndda/news/beekeepers-essential-food-production

No matter what anyone hears about North Dakota not having some “shelter-in-place” state-wide order, it is merely a matter of semantics. Our population is staying at home, just like other states, except as to those essential services, but everyone is practicing social distances. Apparently beekeepers driving around prompted inquiries; the value of beekeepers was re-affirmed by our state’s official.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Beekeeping is agriculture, and agriculture has been deemed an essential business, ergo the bee sales must go on.

I have my order for my one package in. An Italian package costs $140. Can you believe that?

From my perspective, bee sales might be up this year, if it's anything like chick sales and seed sales. Fedco isn't taking seed orders right now, and neither is Johnny Seeds (except for commercial). Backordered. Everyone has caught the self-sustaining homesteading bug. And we all know we can't survive without honey. Ergo, bee prices are going up. That's my official opinion.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess to split hairs, the "Corona Virus" (this year's flu) won't have any noticeable affect on the beekeeping industry. The emotional over reaction on the part of citizens and the power grab by the government and the media, now THAT is going to change everything, forever.

Any beekeepers that are finding themselves worried about this should ignore politicians and media for a few minutes, and listen to the actual experts doing the science with no hidden agenda.

Such as Professor Knut Wittkowski, for twenty years head of The Rockefeller University's Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design, who says that social distancing and lockdown is the absolutely worst way to deal with an airborne respiratory virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGC5sGdz4kg

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
The emotional over reaction on the part of citizens and the power grab by the government and the media, now THAT is going to change everything, forever.
I'm from NY, it happened here 30 years ago, we didn't notice any change recently:D

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
When I took statistics, we used the concept of an equally weighted coin being used in a coin toss. It will either land on heads, or will land on tails. Because it is equally weighted, the chances of either occuring are 50/50. The chance remains the same no matter how many times in a row it lands on one or the other. Just because an event only has two possible outcomes, the probabilty of either occuring is not necessarily 50% as the two outcomes are not equally weighted.
But they should be. That's an example of how statistics bamboozle folks. The coin has no memory, therefore each toss of the coin is a new event. There is no 'Law of Averages' that so many believe in - so Heads nine times in a row is no guide to putting all your money on Tales for the next toss.
The chances (if perfectly balanced) of one side landing upwards are always equal - so in common language, that's a 50/50 chance. When taken over millions of tosses, the ratio ought to be somewhere near 50% - but I agree, the probability on each toss is not necessarily 50%.
LJ

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I disagree with this 50/50 approach.

Subject 1 - 35 year old male with with wife, 3 kids and a steady job, healthy, physically active, mentally stable, a non-smoker.
Subject 2 - 98 year old male, living alone, in frail health due to age, with propensity to infections, mentally weak, etc, etc.

50/50 of the Subject 1 <> 50/50 of the Subject 2.
Likelihood of Subject 1 dying today <> Likelihood of Subject 2 dying today.
So that's the stats.
Greg - you're confusing dying from the virus as opposed to contracting it (which is what I was referring to). The virus is non-selective (or at least appears to be), so it won't have a preference for either 'target'.
'best
LJ

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
- the supply chains are instabile. So there are extra costs for the careful beekeepers at an early time of the season to stock up fodder, varroa treatments and honey jars. You never know...
Now some bee medicine is not available already where I live. Even if it is available soon again – if the treatments against varroa are done in late autumn it is much too late.

I hoarded enough for the next two years. You never know...

61 - 73 of 73 Posts