Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
There is significant upheaval in Beekeeping in Alberta and ?? across Canada.

1. Alberta beekeepers purchase packages from New Zealand and Australia. These packages will not be available in Alberta/??Canada due to very limited air flights and flight restrictions. This will seriously impact package producers in Australia and New Zealand and beekeepers wanting packages of bees.

2. Commercial Beekeepers employ Temporary Foreign Workers from Central America, Caribbean Islands, etc and due to border closures and flight restrictions, some of these workers will not be arriving. The beekeeping season is soon to start.

3. Alberta imports queens from California, Hawaii, and Chile. There is lots of questions around flights(frequency, border closures, chartered flights, cost), length of time queens will be in transport and queen quality. These are not good omens for queen breeders outside of Canada.
1. I'm starting to wonder if the initial fear of packages not coming was over-rated. Air Newzealand was still making daily direct flights from Auckland to Vancouver yesterday, one arrived at 9:30 yesterday morning. What is interesting, scheduled flights that had a 787 on the schedule, last 3 days were done with a 777, so changing the airplane and I am trying to get info from a friend over there to see if the one arriving was in freight configuration. At the same time, I've been notified by two suppliers that NZ packages and queens are no longer available. A friend got 120 NZ queens last week, and he was told that would be the last shipment coming from NZ. It's possible the flight yesterday was the last one, there are no departures from Auckland to Vancouver scheduled over the next 24 hours.

2. Ag workers are exempted from the border closure. I have no idea about the logistics of transport. It's always been somewhat of an issue for those bringing in summer staff from Mexico as they had to have direct flights that did not stop in the USA. OTOH, with oil prices in the toilet there are a lot of unemployed folks in Alberta today, maybe the locals wont feel they are to good to work in the fields this summer.

3. Queens will be an issue from the looks of it. I did read that Kona is unable to ship from Hawaii to Canada at this time, which will put a HUGE dent on availability here, and revenue for them. I've been in touch with a few queen producers in BC over the last few weeks, all say the same thing. Everything they have in the pipeline is spoken for.

Personally, I think this whole escapade is going to put a huge hurt on the market for import queens in years going forward. Lots of larger folks have been saying 'ya, I will switch to in house queens when we have the time to do it right'. For some it's probably to late, for others, the time has arrived.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Covid 19 has 98.54% survival rate. For most of us "IF" we get sick it will be just like a week with the flu. (MAYBE) . The flu kills 10xs the amount that the corny virus will. Don't get me wrong I feel terrible for those that have lost loved ones. But I see state and federal regulations that restrict moving about and buying sugar and equipment that's needed way more of an issue then the media induced fear driven virus.

·
Registered
143 Posts
you are wrong clayton

351,054 Worldwide Cases as of today which had an outcome:
277,295 (79%) Recovered / Discharged

73,759 (21%) Deaths

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think you meant 1,329,081 for "worldwide"

Good link here for updated world stats, world and also by country.

https://www.outbreak.my/world

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Covid 19 has 98.54% survival rate. For most of us "IF" we get sick it will be just like a week with the flu. (MAYBE) . The flu kills 10xs the amount that the corny virus will. Don't get me wrong I feel terrible for those that have lost loved ones. But I see state and federal regulations that restrict moving about and buying sugar and equipment that's needed way more of an issue then the media induced fear driven virus.
tell that to the people in NYC, I went through H1N1, and SARS, don't even remember them, I was young, don't remember a thing about them. Now I'm old and have underlying conditions, and take it more seriously, you should too, if you have any older adults in your family.:no:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-york-bury-corpses-public-park-morgues-full-182609272.html

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Covid 19 has 98.54% survival rate.
I know there are a lot of misinformation sites quoting that number, now lets look at the real numbers, taken from published sources as I type this.

359,203 cases in the USA and climbing rapidly. 10.662 deaths to date. 19,308 recovered, 329,233 active cases.

10,662 / 359,203 = 0.0274. 2.74% of all cases have already died, and there's still over 300 thousand that have not come to a conclusion. If they all recover that's 97.25%, still lower than 98.5% survival, and they wont all recover. What will the conclusion ultimately be, look at the total of cases that have come to a conclusion already. 19 thousand recovered, 10 thousand dead. For round numbers, 1/3 of concluded cases died. That suggests another 110,000 of the known cases today will follow that path. That's NOT a 98% recovery rate, it's a 66% recovery rate.

Reality is probably somewhere in between, but, the misinformation sites online are still pushing the concept of 'mild flu' and such.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
For the week ending 03-27 jet fuel product supplied was down 16.4% compared with the same four-week period last year. It is expected to get worse.
One could surmise from these numbers the airlines are telling the truth when they claim personal air travel is decreasing. I would think that air carriers are looking for any type of paying customers from which to make money.
There are, however, no guarantees the Governments of the prospective countries won't find a way to screw up things for the package and Queen producers.

Alex

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It will only affect what we stupidly allow it to. Let me ask you what seems more intelligent. Option a we close down the whole economy and force perfectly healthy people who have a zero chance of death from this "virus" to quarantine. This causes massive unemployment and suffering across the board. Or we could've all used our brains (something people don't do when they're AFRAID) had sick and immune compromised people quarantine and the rest of us healthy people could've kept on keeping on. The economy doesn't tank, there isn't massive suffering across the board.... No you know what everyones right let's listen to daddy gov. option A. is clearly the right choice.... FEAR IS THE VIRUS!
Huh. Really? Every healthy person with no underlying conditions? Tell that to my 20 something neice who is healthy and has no underlying conditions who is now suffering with Covid-19. And infected her mother and 29 year old brother.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What is interesting, scheduled flights that had a 787 on the schedule, last 3 days were done with a 777, so changing the airplane
I suspect they may be running a 777 because it has a larger cargo hold. If an airline can make a bit more money hauling cargo in the cargo hold they will probably do it. I doubt the passenger and passenger luggage weight was the deciding factor on what plane to use.

I found an article recently that southwest was looking into using the cargo holds of their 737 to use some of their planes as cargo aircraft to try and help stay in business.

here is an article about southwest hauling cargo
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2020/04/01/southwest-airlines-cargo-only.html

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yup. Even including this Covid-19 thing, flu mortalities are projected to be a little below average compared to any other year. Besides, medical mistakes by doctors and nurses (front line heroes!!!) kill 250,000 Americans every single year, but we aren't shutting civilization down over that, are we? Does the average flutard freaking out over this even know how many Americans die every year from drunk divers, obesity and tobacco, just to name three things off the top of my head? Hundreds and hundreds of thousands, year in and year out. By what logic do we react one way to one thing and another for something much worse? You have to wake up and think, people, my god.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Media-induced ? You guys are something else. The media are simply reporting what's actually going on. World-wide, countries have effectively stopped their economies - and everyday life - dead in the water, pledged trillions of dollars (or it's equivalent) in support. Make-shift field hospitals are being created in conference centres for the peaks which are still expected, freezer vans are already being used to hold the dead ... and you guys are claiming that this is nothing but a mild case of the 'flu, and "what's all the panic about ?"

Out here in the real world, there are no passenger flights taking place (except emergency repatriation flights) - where would they land ? Their destinations are in lockdown - the world is now closed for the duration. Only cargo flights are taking place.

Yes it's real, it's really happening guys, it's not some media scam to unseat Trump, and it's not a Hollywood movie.

Here's a report about a guy who thought it was just a media frenzy:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52157824

He's dead now.
LJ

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Media-induced ? You guys are something else. The media are simply reporting what's actually going on. World-wide, countries have effectively stopped their economies - and everyday life - dead in the water, pledged trillions of dollars (or it's equivalent) in support. Make-shift field hospitals are being created in conference centres for the peaks which are still expected, freezer vans are already being used to hold the dead ... and you guys are claiming that this is nothing but a mild case of the 'flu, and "what's all the panic about ?"

Out here in the real world, there are no passenger flights taking place (except emergency repatriation flights) - where would they land ? Their destinations are in lockdown - the world is now closed for the duration. Only cargo flights are taking place.

Yes it's real, it's really happening guys, it's not some media scam to unseat Trump, and it's not a Hollywood movie.

Here's a report about a guy who thought it was just a media frenzy:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52157824

He's dead now.
LJ
Hard to believe that some things need to be explained little john.

It appears that those closer to the front lines don't feel the same need to create any ****amamie half baked theories about the legitimacy of, or severity of the virus.
Very few closer to the action are criticizing the helping hands they are receiving to treat the sick and honor the dead. Or the coverage of the event. It's not the time for that now.
Thank you seems to be a more popular term now than back in February.
Maybe those further away should load up the wagon with whatever they think their fellow countrymen would need in a stressed situation and drive it into those areas most effected and deliver it- there are many needs right now in impacted areas.

It is true that ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Today's news headline is China Reports No New CV19 deaths.
If you believe that one, I have a CV19-proof bridge in Brooklyn to sell.

I see a lot of nucs and packages for sale in my area, with prices up from last year. But we had a good winter here. 3 of my 4 hives survived in great health.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know there are a lot of misinformation sites quoting that number, now lets look at the real numbers, taken from published sources as I type this.

359,203 cases in the USA and climbing rapidly. 10.662 deaths to date. 19,308 recovered, 329,233 active cases.

10,662 / 359,203 = 0.0274. 2.74% of all cases have already died, and there's still over 300 thousand that have not come to a conclusion. If they all recover that's 97.25%, still lower than 98.5% survival, and they wont all recover. What will the conclusion ultimately be, look at the total of cases that have come to a conclusion already. 19 thousand recovered, 10 thousand dead. For round numbers, 1/3 of concluded cases died. That suggests another 110,000 of the known cases today will follow that path. That's NOT a 98% recovery rate, it's a 66% recovery rate.

Reality is probably somewhere in between, but, the misinformation sites online are still pushing the concept of 'mild flu' and such.
THE PROBLEM IS ACCURACY!!!

I understand the need to be cautious with the current novel virus. But what concerns me is that none of the models being used to base these huge economic decisions on have turned out to be correct. They are counting ALL deaths as Coronavirus deaths if the person tested positive. NEVER has that been done with any other virus/infection.

Look at the attached chart for weekly pneumonia deaths from the past 7 years. Why did they number of reported deaths from pneumonia suddenly drop the same time we started keeping up with coronavirus deaths?

chart.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Look at the attached chart for weekly pneumonia deaths from the past 7 years. Why did they number of reported deaths from pneumonia suddenly drop the same time we started keeping up with coronavirus deaths?

View attachment 54355
Exactly. In the same way that lots of men die WITH prostate cancer but didn't die OF prostate cancer. Many other mortality rates (flu, common cold in the elderly, etc...) plummeted exactly like in your pneumonia graph because they were instead classified as Covid-19 deaths. This particular flu virus isn't as novel as the hype surrounding it.

Again, even including Covid-19, this year's flu mortality rates are projected to be BELOW AVERAGE compared to previous years. So why are we destroying society and the economy over it?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts