Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive that isn't doing too great and am getting confused as to what I should do,sooo....
Situation;hive started in May as a 4 frame nuc,was really a 3 frame as 1 comb was empty.
All were old&nasty looking..I think they had been set up as 9 frame brood,cause they were very "wavy",and kept the bees from correctly drawing adjacent frames.
After the bees had gotten 8 of 10 frames (sorta)drawn,I gave them another deep and moved the 4 old frames up and to the outsides,after shaving the high(honey areas)spots down,the bees promptly followed the little brood up too,and I don't think they drew out anymore in the bottom,but were drawing the top out O.K.,just REAL slow.
I found a supercedure cell right after that.(mid June)
I didn't disturb them after that for a month,just to check drone frame once),and found very little work done.
I requeened Aug.3,didn't open them for 3 weeks(to check drone frame)I saw a queen on the drone frame(which was drawn out all different ways)AND a supercedure cell with larva/jelly.
THIS queen should of been marked,but wasn't,which MEANS WHAT?
Now I have recently discovered that I had a queen develop in my queen bank,and would like to combine the remnants of my queen bank(and queen) to this hive,Mostly by swaping the unworked bottom frames for queen bank frames,but am apprehensive about about alternating frames,and thinking that you old hands would know the best way to get it done,or if any queen I try to give is doomed.
Thanks,As Always,Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
my understanding is that if there is no mark on the queen, you had one in the hive before which managed to kill the new one you introduced.

have you noticed any worker brood or just drone brood? i think your queen is drone laying or just too old to lay enough good eggs (which would explain why the bees are trying to supercede it).

i would either try to kill the queen and introduce a frame with fresh brood (eggs) and let the bees start a new queen but it may be too late in the season...
maybe just combine it with another hive after killing the old queen

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Louis,
Please understand,the nuc superceded the queen that came with them,and that one never really got up and running.
I introduced a marked queen in august.
1 month later,No marked queen,but a queen IS there(maybe lost the paint?).It might be the marked queen,but I suspect it is another,as it seems a little lighter than the NWC I got from Tarheit.And would think I would see more capped brood after a month.
Also ANOTHER supercedure cell,Right now.
They have eggs/brood.Not alot,and less drone than worker.
I worry that even if I remove this cell,and combine my queen bank with it's new queen,that the original colony with STILL try to raise another.
I would let them do that,but as you say,timing is a factor.We will have at least a little frost here within 2-3 weeks.
Also,I'd kinda like to see what this new queen can do,and all my other hives are doing good,and have new queens,and I hate to trip the good ones up by pulling out frames to try to build up the queen bank.
Any advice for a newbee?Still have drones on the wing,and a GREAT flow goin right now...But as you say,it's getting late.
Mark
<edit>And as I read back it occurs to me that the queen I inroduced might have been murdered.There could have been a queen cell in the works,because when I requeened in august I never looked for any queen cells,I spotted the queen on the first frame I took out,so I just grabed her and closed them up.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If the hive you want to put the new queen in has been queenless for 24 hours or more, you can just put the frames in from the queen bank and you'll probably get away with it. It would be more reliable, though, to put her in a cage and introduce her that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts