Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My situation is a few new hives that were started with packages this year, using all medium 10-frame equipment. These hives built slowly and I added the third brood box a week ago. The flow is on and they have filled the top brood box with honey. I added two more supers on each for honey. I suspect they starting filling with honey because of the flow. Perhaps I should have added more space when the flow started, but I had two hives fail from chill brood (nights haven't been very warm) and I'm thinking the extra space made it difficult for them to keep brood warm.

My concern is that by filling the third box with honey they are cramping brood rearing and there won't be enough bees to maximum honey. They also might decide to swarm.

I'm thinking I could move some of the honey into my honey supers and replace with empty frames (in the center of the box) so they'd hopefully put brood there. They also could just fill with honey, although I'm thinking with the extra space they might put the honey in the top and make more brood.

Or, perhaps the bees will open the brood nest when they see more room.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
If you have two mediums below the one they are filling with honey, you have ample brood space in the two lowers. If you added supers they will fill them only after the majority of the brood chambers are filled. For the most part the brood boxes always a mixture of brood, honey, and pollen. I also do not like to add more than one super at a time. As the excess space makes it hard for the bees to control small hive beetles. when a flow is on I add another when the top is 80% full.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts