Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, a buddy of mine from the bee club called asking if I still needed a queen for a queenless hive. He had watched two queens emerge, one while we were on the phone. I ran over to his house and picked one of them up, we put her in a queen cage with the end plugged with wax since that was all we had on hand. I hung the cage in the queenless hive between frames and figure I will release her tomorrow, Saturday. My question is wheather she will take her virgin flight after released or does her being caged interrupt the normal routine too much? How long does a virgin queen stay in the hive after emerging before taking the mating flight? Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Depending on the weather, a virgin might take 7 days before she take her mating flight from the time she
emerged. Caging her might kill her if other bees do not feed her if waiting too long. I will wait another day to
test if they have accepted her or not then release her into the hive. So it depends on the acceptance level.
It is good to have another one for back up in case they balled her to death. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts