Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used wedge top bars and installed either wax or plastic after assembling mediium frames. I see some folks drop the plastic in same time as they put the bottom bar on when using grooved tops and bottoms. How rough is it to snap into assembled medium frames?

·
Registered
327 Posts
i have some ritecell in gt and gb. they go in ok. a little tough to get back out. i bought mine already assembled, but i saw one inserted after frame assembly. try one assembled before you do them all

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, it pops in. I insert into the bottom bar fist as I figure it's more fragile. Lay it flat on a work surface press in the mifddle with both thumbs and flex it until a top corner drops in, then work it across to the opposite corner. It's fast but it wears out my thumbs, I spend more time resting than installing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
We pop all ours in after building. We use Pierco but they all work the same. We build boxes and frames in winter, them wax and pop in foundation right before using so it has a fresh wax smell.

Johnny

·
Registered
397 Posts
Snaps right in and out. It's easiest to start on one end, get a corner in and then run across like a zipper. If you try to start in the middle you'll find it harder. I pop it in and out all the time as needed. I try to keep an inventory of frames ready to go with foundation but often find myself popping it back out for open frames to use on cutout jobs.

I have found that duragilt foundation with the metal strips on the side is not so forgiving. The metal tends to bend/kink and then the foundation doesn't hold in the frame as well.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well now that I know it is possible I will give it a more serious try. I tried putting one in a medium frame a few years ago and thought "you gotta be kidding"! My old thumbs are more thumbs down these days! If so, they will go in easy when assembling.

Thanks,

Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts