Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have been off and on beekeepers for about three years in Oregon.

Last year a swarm moved into our deserted hive and set up housekeeping. They did just great on their own and this spring they swarmed. Then swarmed again a few weeks later!

The hive looked pretty busy still, so we did a inspection in it about 2 weeks after the second swarm.

What we found were live bees, honey, empty comb, open queen cells, no pollen, no brood, and no eggs. We got a queen with 2 attendants and put them in the hive five days ago. Also added some pollen substitute on top of the frames so the bees have something to feed the queen and a Boardman feeder with water in it. Very little action going on from the outside looking in.

Today the queen and ladies were still in the box, so we took the candy out. Queen and attendants still alive but moving slowly. Bees in the hive do not seem to be very interested in the new comers. I'm worried the hive bees have not been feeding them.

My concern is the remaining bees in hive are all very busy on the honey frames, but and no brood, will they be able to take care of the eggs if any are laid by this new queen? Will the "older" bees be able to make royal jelly now, and do their nurse duties?

Thanks for the help on this!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
There may be a virgin in the hive however, with no aggression toward the queen box, it doesn't sound like a virgin is in the hive. Several articles in past bee magazines have talked about older bees regressing to work they did as younger bees. Their glands will regenerate so they can make food for larva and they will assume nurse bee duties again.
How long has the queen been in the box? Did the queen wander out into the hive when you removed the candy? Keep us informed and good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary - that's music to my ears!

The queen had been in her cage 5 days, we bought her from another beek who had put her in it the day we got her. They said she is a good layer.

When we took the candy off, I wanted to watch her come out but was told she doesn't like light and to put the hive back together and get out! So now it's time to wait and watch from outside. So hard to do!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had some robbing yesterday, we had not seen that before, so thank you everyone who posted with advice on that, it really did help!

Posted an update to the hive at post #13 HERE

I don't know if this poor little hive will make it, but we're going to do our best to pull it through. Sure appreciate all the words of wisdom here, thank you everyone! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts