Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midst of an OAV treatment series I was inspecting the bottom boards when I found some bird seed (millet) and cracked corn along the western edge in one hive. The week before I had left the mouse screens off for a day so the bees could clear out dead bees. I did another OAV treatment 4 days ago, and today found more seed in the same location. I would have certainly thought that no mammal could survive an OAV treatment. Any thoughts, anyone? BTW, I've never had mice in a hive before.

·
Registered
529 Posts
No expertise on rodent control, but I consider OAV unlikely to kill mice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've heard of them taking feed dust from feeders, but these are whole millet seeds (the small round ones - pretty slippery!) and bits of cracked corn...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Bees will roll up and take home lots of things we wouldn't associate with honeybees. Yes, dust in bird feeders. They take home White Millet seeds, too. Also, high moisture corn from ag-bags, saw dust from the bunker, and manure from the barn floor gutter.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Get a mouse guard on to make sure they can't get in...but may want to check the hive to make sure it's not already in there.

This time of year I see little stashes of food everywhere. Mice even got into my climbing gear and put seed into my shoes. That was exciting when I got to the gym and poured seed all over the mat!

As to your original question. I'm not sure OAV is lethal, just very bad for your lungs and if you've ever got a whiff of the vapor, it sure makes you cough!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what made me think it would be lethal for anything with eyes and lungs in the confines of a sealed hive during an OAV treatment. Got the mouse guard on, but saw more seeds the other day...

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Several members have reported being able to run a mouse out by an OAV. Give it a try but leave the entrance open. J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts