Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time trying the newspaper merge of colonies. Brought a queen right nuc from a different yard to put on top of a laying worker hive. (Had a good looking queen emerge but don't think she made it during the mating flight due to weather, then they did nothing with a frame of eggs added as I think the worker was already laying. Bees in the laying worker were shaken off and a majority made it back to hive) What im worried about now is the top brood that is closed off currently over heating. Do they chew through the newspaper fast enough to get some ventilation? Would pulling the plug on the box be an option after a couple of days? The weather is looking to be in 90's for the next week

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like to make sure the box over the newspaper has ventilation by turning the entry notch of the inner cover towards the back and making sure it’s fully open. And/Or use a screened inner cover on top that allows for good ventilation. In either case if it’s really hot I like to add a sun shade to the outside of the top cover — like a piece of plywood or signboard laid over a spare queen excluder (which creates an airspace and shade for the usual outer cover. ) All that may not be needed but it makes me feel better. 🙂

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just shim the cover. I do not like to leave the bees with only one way out. Unless I am worried about a robing situation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're already in a nice shady spot so that should help. Thinking maybe I should just go get some wire mesh to put over the plug in the box instead of a solid one.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have made several newspaper combines in 90+ weather with no damage to the confined part of the colony. Make several slits in the newspaper in the center of the box and the bees will open and remove the paper overnight. My colonies are all in full sun with open mesh bottoms and no upper ventilation. The boxes are all painted white which helps reflect solar heating in summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts