Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I removed a laying queen from a new hive to mark her. I was holding her by the legs and in the process of wiggling around to get loose she pulled off part of one of her legs! :eek:
I ended up putting her back into the hive but wondered if she will survive and/or whether the hive will continue to accept her? Do you think she will be OK or should I go ahead and replace her now?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If it was just a leg she will survive, however if you have a picky colony they might supercede her, you never know. Give it time and see what happens the colony might accept her with one less leg. Might try a queen catcher next time and a queen marking tube. I have had injuries to both my thumbs so I tend to be a little clumsy and rough when grabbing queens. I use the queen catcher and marking tube (brushy mountain catalog) with great success.

·
Registered
760 Posts
legs are important to her!!! she uses them to measure cell size to determine if worker or drone eggs get layed - if she cant measure the wont lay ---

i forget if it was the front two or the rear two that measure - pretty sure its the front ---

just be prepared for requeening ...... sorry about the leg loss but a queen marking tube is pennies in the queen cost !!!!

i marked a few queens last year but it was easier to just look for eggs then to look for a colored dot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It was one of her rear legs and it was only part of it that broke off. I will definitly look into a queen catcher and a queen marking tube for any future marking. I'll keep a watch on the hive but I might as well look into getting another queen while it is still early in the season. I appreciate the information!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts