Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have had 3 Italian colonies for 8 days now and am getting worried since it has been raining for a few days and my colonies may have too much ventilation. Unfortunately I felt compelled to build SBBs for each hive but somehow messed it up, and now there is a 3/4" gap on one side of the reducers. So I have screened bottom boards (not closed either), drilled brood box holes, the small entrance reducer holes, and a 3/4" gap on the side of the reducers, all overventilating my hives. And plus the rain the temps are 55 to 70 degrees. Also, I didn't get to refill the feeder jars in each hive so I'm pretty sure they ran out yesterday. They had comb built two days ago that I saw so they (might?) have enough honey/nectar to live off of. It has rained since yesterday and will rain most of tommorrow, so are my colonies doomed a cold, wet death?

·
Super Moderator
11,181 Posts
>> And plus the rain the temps are 55 to 70 degrees.

Don't worry about that temperature range, dry bees can handle a wide range of temperatures. Unless your hives are missing lids, they shouldn't have a problem staying dry.

The most likely problem with cold wet bees is in the winter, when high humidity in tightly buttoned up hives can't escape and cold condensation drips on the cluster. I'm not in Indiana, but I'm confident that you still have several months yet to get your hives how you want them to be able to handle winter conditions. :)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Freeze? Temps would have to be in the negative range before that would happen. And even then, No.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I overwintered my hive this past winter in Indiana with the screened bottom board open, the hive was not wrapped and they made it. 50-70 degrees will be no problem at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats relieving :) . I keep finding out my bees can handle my lack of preparation better than I can.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm nearby and I overwintered (first year hive) with screened bottom boards open as well. The bees got through so well, I'm more worried about swarming right now (I've knocked off 12+ swarm cells in the last week & a half). These bees can handle the cold better than you'd think.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
IMG_86711.jpg

They'll probably be OK. Mine all made it through this - after almost two weeks of mostly rain. Solid bottom boards, restricted lower entrances & small upper entrances. The only ones being fed were some new packages. The pic was yesterday. Today was our first full day of sun in quite some time, and they were going ballistic. The snow was almost gone by sundown.

·
Registered
25 Posts
View attachment 18058

They'll probably be OK. Mine all made it through this - after almost two weeks of mostly rain. Solid bottom boards, restricted lower entrances & small upper entrances. The only ones being fed were some new packages. The pic was yesterday. Today was our first full day of sun in quite some time, and they were going ballistic. The snow was almost gone by sundown.
Looks like mother nature didn't get the memo. It's spring! Time to warm up.:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Forecast here in MN calls for below freezing Monday and Tuesday. I have my new package wrapped with tyvek. Screened bottom with mite tray. I have a old heating pad that will stay on that does not have the auto shutoff. Will be putting that in the tray tonight. The bees should be o.k. I'm just worried about the brood.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Forecast here in MN calls for below freezing Monday and Tuesday. I have my new package wrapped with tyvek. Screened bottom with mite tray. I have a old heating pad that will stay on that does not have the auto shutoff. Will be putting that in the tray tonight. The bees should be o.k. I'm just worried about the brood.
I'm 200 miles straight North of you. I have six colonies and they are too far away to get power.I have two with screened bottom boards and four with solids. At the very least I'm planning to slip a OSB sheet under the SBB to keep it a bit more cozy. I just don't know if bees can take a 23F snap like that...this is my first year...I don't want to lose six colonies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts