Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first ever package of bees is supposed to arrive here in NJ this Monday, 3/25/19. The weather for this coming week is going to suck! I've read different things about spraying or not spraying the bees before installing them. To be honest, I'm not partial to shaking a box full of dry bees into a new hive. Anyhow, here's the weather prediction for Monday and the rest of the week. What do you think? Spray them? Don't spray them? Waiting isn't much of an option since they're being shipped out today (Saturday) and I'm not sure how much food they'll have after a 2-day trip. They WILL have a top feeder full of syrup.

54523458_557430834765112_7686095828779270144_n.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have no experience with packages. 50 is plenty warm to work with them as much as you need. That's warm enough to fly.

Cold is bad for brood, which you won't have in your package.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My opinion is that yes, it will be too cold. It will not be too cold to shake them in and install but they will need food to live on and build comb. A top feeder when the temperatures will be below 50 will barely get used. Make sugar blocks so they have a food source they can use.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,124 Posts
Plenty warm.

Watch the YouTube videos of people installing them in snow...

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm with dudelt on this. I don't think they will take the syrup. You say it is your first package install. Did you have bees from purchsed nucs and replacing dead outs, or new to bees all together.

If you already have drawn comb, I'd install and put sugar on top bars (mountain camp method).

If you don't have drawn comb, I would consider a frame feeder AND mountain camp. Maybe the syrup will stay a bit warmer in the frame feeder and available to them when they can use it and start drawing comb.

I wouldn't spray sugar water. Keep em dry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Latest update: Post office estimated delivery date will be TUESDAY, not Monday.
Tuesday = 15 mph winds and 43 degrees. No Bueno. This is BS!!!

FYI, this is my first ever bee hive. Brand new stuff all over.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Shore Bees. You do not have to spray or shake a package to install it. After removing the queen and attaching the cage, sans cork, to a center frame, place the package, with the syrup can removed, upside down on the frames and cover with a second deep hive body. Most of the bees will move down on their own within a short time. After the box is mostly empty, you can just shake out the remaining stragglers.

The can of syrup is not going to go empty over a day or two extra.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What JWPalmer is true. We have installed packages in cold weather before. With just foundation and not drawn comb (for Insulation) it helps to give them as little space to heat/ maintain as possible. I prefer to use a nuc box then you can move them to a full hive body later. Also you could use a follower board also known as a division board, dummy board to limit the bees space.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would install them and once a day take the syrup out of the feeder and warm up the syrup to as hot as you can put your finger in without getting burned and then put it back in the feeder. They can't take cold syrup and they have no stores. But if they can tank up once a day they will do fine. For future reference, I wouldn't get a package that early in NJ... The end of April is probably a better bet.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
I'm pretty sure fat bee man knows what he's doing. But how is he spraying the bees in 25 degree weather???

Hmmm I have never sprayed the bees to put them in a hive. How is wet and cold a good combination. Also the empty box he put on top has a very real chance of the bees starting comb from the lid. been there done that. So how did it go Shore Bees?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts